To provide instruction in for-credit activity classes offered by the Health & Human Performance ( HHP ) department. The HHP department offers a wide variety of physical activity classes such as weight training, circuit training, yoga, pilates, tai chi, martial arts, studio cycling, jogging, mountain biking, basketball, softball, rugby, volleyball, hip-hop, aerobic dance, step aerobics, and many more. The instructor must demonstrate safe and effective teaching and expertise in the activity for which they are applying.
1. Provide instruction in activity course instruction. This includes introducing students to the activity (history of, safety, effective training methods, etc). The instructor will safely and effectively lead/facilitate the class throughout a warm-up, exercise/activity session, and cool-down each day. The instructor will assess each student on participation as well as other academic assignments related to the activity taught. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, classes taught on or off campus.
2. Serve as a role model of an active, healthy lifestyle.
3. Hold one office hour per week for each activity class taught.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Act as a resource person/mentor for students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Thorough knowledge in the physical activity that you will be instructing.
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers and other written materials.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with Health & Human Performance faculty and other COCC staffs at all levels.
10. Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as required.
11. Ability/skills to competently advise and/or serve students from a variety of background, respecting cultural and socio-economic differences.
Ability to work in classroom and office environments using computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment.
1. Education/Certification: Preparation in the form of a current instructor certification/license from an accredited certifying body in the activity in which you are applying to instruct –OR- a college certificate of completion or degree in a related area.
2. Experience: Prior teaching experience in the activity in which you are applying to instruct.
3. Willingness and ability to travel to teach at any college location in Central Oregon.
Licenses: Necessary for instruction in certain activity classes such as Zumba.
Certifications: Necessary for instruction in certain activity classes such as Pilates, Yoga, etc.
1. Current First Aid and CPR certification.
2. Past experience teaching at the college level.
3. Currently certified as a Personal Trainer via ACSM , NSCA , or ACE .
4. Language: Proficiency in Spanish or a second language other than English.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required?
Is a Credit History Check Required?
Open Until Filled