To provide instruction in one or more Indigenous languages, with preference for Kiksht, as a member of an instructional team of full-time and part-time instructors in Foreign Languages. The successful applicant will assist in developing a Kiksht curriculum and teach first year Kiksht, direct student discussion, select learning experiences appropriate for meeting objectives and evaluate student performance in the classroom.
1. Provide instruction in Kiksht. This includes lecturing and guiding in classroom activities, providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, classes taught on the Bend campus or on North Campuses.
2. Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to each location, as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students with academic advising, career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies.
2. Act as a resource person for students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge of one or more Indigenous languages (kiksht specifically).
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers and other written materials.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with other faculty and COCC staff at all levels.
10. Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as required.
11. Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
Ability to work in classroom and office environments using computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment.
1. Master’s Degree in area of instruction or related field
2. Demonstrated teaching experience within the area of instruction
3. Willingness and ability to travel to teach at any college location in Central Oregon
4. Oral proficiency in Kiksht at an advanced level (i.e. native or near-native ability)
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
1. Strong personal background in the Kiksht culture.
2. Experience in proficiency-based methodologies
3. Community College teaching experience.
4. Bilingual in English & Kiksht preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required?
Is a Credit History Check Required?
Open Until Filled
Central Oregon Community College - 22 months ago