Patch Editorial Operations Intern
We’re Patch, the trusted voice for local news and community engagement. We inform and connect the residents in our communities and simplify their everyday lives. We launched with just 3 sites in February 2009, and now are in more than 900 communities in 23 states across the country! Patch is revolutionizing the way neighbors connect with each other, their communities and the national conversation. We have more than 13 million unique visitors each month, a 30% increase in traffic year-over-year, and are continuing to grow. Patch is relentlessly focused on enhancing our platform to provide the best news and information, and to encourage users to interact. Our audience is engaged, and attractive to marketers looking to raise awareness, increase consideration and drive sales.
Patch is a premier brand within AOL’s portfolio of leading content sites. We are an entrepreneurial, start-up culture and, at the same time, able to leverage the scale and resources of our parent company. AOL is one of the largest producers of quality digital content and one of the world’s leading sellers of premium display advertising. Other brands in its portfolio include The Huffington Post, HuffPost Live, TechCrunch, Engagdet, MapQuest, Stylelist, KitchenDaily, Style Me Pretty, MAKERS, Gdgt, and so much more.
You can't truly serve a community unless you provide the help it needs most, which is why giving back is so important to us. We do it as part of our coverage — in a dedicated space that lets local charities and volunteers find each other — and with a program called "Give 5," through which we donate advertising space to charitable organizations and contribute our own time as volunteers. Out teams care about and live in Patch communities. After Hurricane Sandy, our Local Editors listened to their communities about what their needs were. This resulted in a global corporate initiative to get badly needed goods to those areas most affected.
AREA: News & Data Operations
Patch’s news & data interns will be devoted to creating data projects that engage our users, help our editors, and make use of Patch’s unprecedented scale across 900 communities. We are proactive collaborators and partners that are equally passionate about strategy and execution.
As an intern with Patch’s Operations area, you will report to our News Director and be instrumental in strategic initiatives critical to the ongoing growth of Patch.
Interns will be responsible for specific projects in these areas during the term as well as important tasks within larger Patch initiatives. We plan to build fast and learn from our mistakes. They will have the opportunity to utilize their own unique backgrounds to determine how they will contribute to Patch and add to their own skill set.
- Help operations staff in several key areas, including improving site engagement, editorial product development, enhancing tools and resources for editors in the field, and analyzing site metrics;
- Identify areas for internal improvement and help develop and execute plans for implementing them in collaboration with other teams;
- Lend expertise to internal teams and task forces, ranging from business strategy to product/technology and organizational change initiatives;
- Define requirements and plan the project life cycle deployment.
* This is a pa
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science and/or journalism is preferred, Master's preferred;
- Passion for news and big data projects is a must;
- Experience identifying data projects and executing them;
- Ability to organize and complete tasks on short deadlines;
- Demonstrated critical thinking experience in a consulting, management, or computer programming role;
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to be personable yet persuasive;
- Consultative approach working with different functional areas.
rt-time, paid internship beginning
June 2013. Patch Media is an AOL Company. AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
AOL - 7 months ago
Though it's no longer a part of Time Warner, AOL is still serving America online. The Web portal serves users with an array of content...