Are you ready to change the future? You have the opportunity to join the company that helped establish solar markets around the world and continues to innovate in the renewable energy space. SunPower has facilities in the US, Europe and Asia, and we are seeking talented people to join us in building a clean energy future.
Widely recognized as the world’s standard for solar, SunPower produces the world’s highest efficiency solar products. Our quality and reliability standards far exceed those of any other company in the industry.
SunPower and Total, the global energy producer and provider, have announced a transformational investment by Total in SunPower. The companies have signed a set of strategic agreements to accelerate SunPower’s growth in the increasingly competitive solar sector. Total’s investment is based on SunPower’s leading position in designing, manufacturing and delivering the world’s highest efficiency, highest reliability solar systems with guaranteed performance. These agreements will accelerate SunPower’s growth and further improve its financial strength.
SunPower is committed to the success of our company, our employees and the communities around the world that need us most. We support our employees’ commitment to their communities through a culture of volunteerism, and through The SunPower Foundation, which makes grants to green initiatives throughout the world. As a company, we operate with the highest sustainability standards.
In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a Patent Agent/Patent Engineer to join our Intellectual Property team. The Patent Engineer will be based out of Austin, TX and reports to the Intellectual Property Counsel and will be responsible for management of a large and active patent docket.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
• Assist attorney(s) in drafting and editing documents within area of responsibility (e.g. notice of missing parts, information disclosure statements, transmittal forms, electronic filings in the U.S.P.T.O. and PCT Office, instruction correspondence to foreign associates).
• Maintain patent databases, including daily monitoring and reporting.
• Manage the prosecution efforts of outside counsel.
• Assist with patent prosecution, including responding to administrative notices from patent offices and adaptation of patent applications to meet foreign filing requirements.
• Oversee patent annuity payments and coordinate with business personnel in making selections for renewal.
• Provide interface and support between R&D and IP legal group.
• Initiate and interpret patentability searches.
• Collect and maintain data relating to the competitive patent landscape.
• Train internal engineers on intellectual property issues.
• Supporting the preparation and filing of patent applications under the direction of counsel.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Minimum requirements –
• Bachelor’s degree in a Science or Engineering discipline.
• Registration as a Patent Agent with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
• Experience using and proficiency in at least one patent docketing system.
• Experience using and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and outlook) is essential.
• Strong knowledge of US & foreign patent prosecution rules.
• Advanced technical degree related to semiconductor fabrication strongly preferred.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, adapt to rapidly changing priorities, manage heavy workflow, set priorities and deliver results.
• Ability to promote positive cooperation and clear communication within IP team and with internal clients.
• Motivated and proactive self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work efficiently with teams under minimal supervision.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION - Some US and international travel may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is SunPower’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. SunPower disapproves of, and will not tolerate, unlawful discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, religion, disability, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws.