9:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M., Monday – Friday (37.5 hours per week)
Reports to Patent Practice Support Manager; works under direction of assigned Attorney(s) and Paralegals(s)
Under general supervision, provides organizational and substantive support to attorneys in the Intellectual Property Group, primarily in the patent prosecution area; assignments may extend to other practice areas. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of the position.
1. Consistently promote and model the Firm’s Client Service Principles in teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
2. Ensure exemplary client service to all internal and external clients; proactively promote client service throughout department and among teams; respond to peer requests with recognition that request serves a client or Firm need.
1. Update and manage patent portfolio and patent competitor databases. Communicate closely with attorneys, and clients under attorneys’ direction, to ensure information is correct and that patent status is accurately reported.
2. Prepare Information Disclosure Statements, following established department practices.
3. Prepare foreign reference submissions in countries with a "duty to disclose."
4. Prepare patent status reports, patent family trees, and patent timelines.
5. Calculate patent-term adjustments.
6. Assist with preparation and filings of documents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Coordinate paralegal role within team preparation processes, collaborating closely with clients, attorneys, and staff to ensure accuracy, teamwork, and exemplary client service.
7. Applying research and analysis skills, assist with research and perform library and online searches; collaborate with outside libraries and Morrison & Foerster library staff to obtain reference materials.
8. Review and proof read patent applications and claims.
1. Complete and release time notes on a daily basis.
2. Complete and release time sheets on a weekly basis.
3. Ensure that minimum billable hours expectation is met.
4. Proactively work with your supervisor and the attorneys in your group to seek out additional work when your billable hours expectation cannot be met through regular assigned work.
1. Remain current industry trends in Business and the legal profession.
2. Ensure expertise in technology relevant to the position; proactively use most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
3. Participate on projects that increase the value of services to clients, attorneys, timekeepers and the Firm.
Ensure compliance with the Firm's Information Handling Policy, including safeguarding confidential and personal information, and reporting any suspected breach appropriately and immediately.
Adhere to the Firm’s General Safety Practices and any unique safety practices for department and building.
Perform other paralegal and administrative duties as assigned.
The Paralegal Program exists to provide service. Every paralegal is expected to deal courteously, responsibly and competently with customers, including staff, attorneys, other paralegals, clients, firm managers and vendors. All paralegals are expected to demonstrate behavior consistent with Morrison & Foerster’s commitment to high quality service.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree with strong academic record and/or certificate from an ABA approved paralegal program desired. Must comply with the provisions of California Business Code Section 6450, et seq.
2. Minimum three years of experience in a law firm as a patent paralegal.
3. Solid experience preparing Information Disclosure Statements is required.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
1. Strong technical expertise; experience with database and online research.
2. Strong attention to details.
3. Excellent organizational and writing skills.
4. Ability to research, analyze and synthesize large amounts of data.
5. Ability to work concurrently on a variety of projects, and work effectively under pressure.
6. Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines.
7. Available to work overtime upon request.
How to Apply
Only Online Applications will be considered. You will receive a confirmation of your application via email. No phone calls please.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Morrison & Foerster is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Morrison & Foerster hires the candidate.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
425 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Morrison & Foerster is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Morrison & Foerster - 20 months ago