Assists Pathologists with post mortem examinations, organ preparation, dissection & evisceration. In addition, works with frozen section tissue and intraoperative consultation requests. Assists in instructing residents/fellows on procedural and technical skills related to surgical pathology.
1. Assists in the training of surgical pathology and autopsy techniques and procedures to residents and fellows. Assists in training of surgical pathology specimens inclusive of gross dissection, reporting, and submission for histologic processing to pathology residents and fellows. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with frozen section procedures and special procedures. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with accurate block selection and appropriate sampling of lesions and pertinent normal/negative findings. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with selecting appropriate ancillary testing and special autopsy procedures. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with correlation between preliminary and final autopsy diagnosis. Educates Residents/Fellows utilizing departmental case presentations and conferences.
2. Performs professional duties associated with the preparation and performance of autopsy pathology and post-mortem examination. Assists in the performance of an autopsy examination by ascertaining proper legal authorization. Obtains and reviews the patient’s chart and other clinical data and studies. Initiates procedures when resolving problems related to proper clearance and consent for autopsy. Confers with the pathologists to identify special techniques or procedures that are required (immunopathology, electron microscopy). Participates in post-mortem prosection, evisceration and subsequent dissection. Obtains specimens for biological and toxicologic analysis.
3. Performs specialized procedures including frozen sections, histological procedures and special procedures. Prepares tissue for frozen sections utilizing histologic procedures. Participates in conduct of frozen section examinations. Selects and preserves tissue for special studies to include immunopathology, electron microscopy, special stains and flow cytometry. Prepares and processes frozen section tissue in a timely manner consistent with CAP standards.
4. Prepares surgical pathology specimens. Ensures appropriate specimen accessioning, pertinent clinical information and studies. Dissects surgical specimens while describing the gross anatomic features and ensuring proper submission for histologic processing. Obtains and submits specimens for additional ancillary procedures (immunostaining, flow cytometry). Dissects and processes frozen section specimens for evaluation by an Attending Pathologist. Assists Pathologists with eviscerations and obtaining appropriate sections for microscopic examination. Photographs all pertinent gross specimens and microscopic slides.
5. Serves as liaison between the laboratory and staff physicians, lab sections and department heads. Collaborates with hospital physicians, lab sections and department heads on pertinent matters in order to maintain quality service.
6. Assists in the conduct of quality assurance within Pathology. Monitors safety compliance. Monitors quality/assurance activities and records.
7. Performs related duties, as required.
· Bachelor’s Degree from a Pathologist Assistant Program or related field, required.
· Pathologist Assistant Certification through the ASCP, preferred.
· Minimum of two years experience in Anatomic Pathology including surgical pathology, autopsy dissection, histology procedures/ techniques, gross dissection of surgical specimens, frozen sections and post-mortem examinations, required.
· Excellent communication skills and ability to work independently, required.
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.
North Shore-LIJ Health System - 20 months ago
One of the nation's largest health systems, North Shore-LIJ delivers world-class clinical care throughout the New York metropolitan area,...