As Pathology Assistant you will perform service functions particularly related to processing of surgical specimens usually performed by residents.
- Specimen selection/triage: Selects and identifies tissue for microscopic examination. Describes measures and dictates gross findings on select specimen using appropriate terminology. Determines proper fixative and decalcification procedures. Photographs specimens as appropriate for specific use and documentation.
- Autopsy: Assists, performs, and describes, samples and reports autopsies when required.
- Special Procedures: Assists with Frozen Sections. Prepares special specimens and paraffin blocks to be sent to outside institutions. Radiographs surgical specimens and paraffin blocks.
- Specimen release: Prepares, sterilizes and photograph specimens for release when requested by patients and physicians according to policy.
- Other responsibilities: Assists in the training and supervision of new Pathology Assistants. Participates in pathology conferences for continuing education.
- Bachelor’s Degree, required.
- Minimum of two (2) years formal training as a Pathology Assistant OR foreign medical degree with pathology training, required.
- Excellent communication skills, required.
- Knowledge of automated (instruments), semi-automated and manual methods and Lab Information Systems, required.
- Skills in grossing complex surgical specimens including cancer resection cases and autopsies, preferred.
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.
North Shore-LIJ Health System - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard
One of the nation's largest health systems, North Shore-LIJ delivers world-class clinical care throughout the New York metropolitan area,...