Supports the professional clinical staff by providing direct patient care and performing duties as assigned by the RN.
- Performs patient care & treatments under supervision of a RN.
- Provides & documents nursing care including, but not limited to, activities of daily living, exercise & ambulating, specimen collection and respiratory support activities.
- Under the direction of the nurse, assist in education of patients and families.
- Lifts, moves, positions & transports patients.
- Performs procedures as defined by department competencies.
- Assures safe, therapeutic environment for patients, families, visitors, and staff.
- Considers age, growth, and development when providing care.
- Participates in staff development and orientation of new staff.
- Sets priorities and demonstrates organizational skills.
- Assists in duties as requested to meet the day-to-day operations of the unit.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other assigned duties.
- Completion of 120-hour or 150-hour Certified Nursing Assistant Program or graduate of an accredited RN program.
- Upon hire, must be identified as “Eligible for Employment/Active” on the Iowa Direct Care Worker (DCW) Registry.
- Must remain in active status on the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry throughout employment.
- High School diploma or GED
- 18 years of age
- Basic Life Support (BLS) training, or within 90 days of hire and must maintain throughout employment
- For specific departments and/or shifts, Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB) training or within 90 days of hire and must maintain throughout employment may be required
- Ability to assist nursing personnel with patients; explain procedures and give information; skill in the use of specialized equipment and/or techniques; ability to detect abnormal conditions and report appropriately; able to function promptly and appropriately under stressful conditions.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication in English.
Iowa Direct Care Worker (DCW) Registry
Mary Greeley Medical Center - 18 months ago