The Patient Financial Counselor’s primary responsibility is to assist patients classified as Self- pay and Free Care with the goal of managing and reducing associated Accounts Receivable.
- Contacts self-pay patients within one business day of booking to obtain insurance information and/or advises of Joslin Clinic policy regarding payment at time of service.
- Identifies patients scheduled for services within one business day of booking who have self-pay balances. Validates such balances; requests and obtains payment in full of monies due.
- Responds to patient inquiries regarding billing and collection issues.
- Counsels patients/guarantors who express financial difficulties, advising of budget plans, Joslin Free Care and MassHealth programs.
- Provides instructions to eligible patients on how to apply for benefits. Processes Free Care applications and maintains Free Care records.
- Updates demographic and insurance information; requests insurance rebills as appropriate.
- Accepts payments for walk-ins and over the phone credit card payments; processes such payments following established procedures.
- Meets with international and self-pay patients at time of visit and obtains payment for services. Supplies itemized bills to patients upon request.
- Reviews self-pay credit balance reports; submits requests for patient refunds and or moves credit to open balance.
- Post monies received via the daily lock box and credit card payments.
- Prepares weekly accounts to be transferred to collection agency.
- Works closely with collection agency to report payments or update status on accounts placed.
- Reviews unassigned payment report and post money to accounts accordingly.
- Associates Degree in Business or Accounting, or Medical Billing Certificate preferred or equivalent experience.
- Three to four years in medical office setting with direct patient contact.
- Knowledge of medical insurance specific to government and managed care programs.
- Ability to manage several tasks with minimal supervision under pressures of deadlines and fluctuating workload.
- Skill in math to handle billing and collection issues.
- Ability to communicate with patients and vendors over the phone, in person and in writing.
- Adheres to HIPAA privacy and confidentiality guidelines and regulations.
- Ability to maintain a thorough knowledge of third party requirements.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Joslin Diabetes Center - 2 years ago