Position Title: Patient Financial Services Representative (620)
Department: P atient Financial Services (PFS – 01. 9100)
Reports to: Director, Patient Financial Services (180)
Population Served: Patients, families, visitors and volunteers, co-workers and physicians and outside vendors and other agencies.
C ourtesy – We act in a positive, professional and considerate manner, recognizing the impact of our actions on the care of our patients and the creation of a supportive work environment.
A ccountability – We take responsibility for our actions and their collective outcomes; working as an effective, committed and cooperative team.
R espect – We treat everyone with fairness and dignity by honoring diversity and promoting an atmosphere of trust and cooperation. We listen to others, valuing their skills, ideas and opinions.
E xcellence – We choose to do our best and work with a commitment to continuous improvement. We provide high quality, professional healthcare to meet the changing needs of our community and region.
Under general supervision, this position performs a variety of patient accounting related tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures. PFS Representative is responsible for effective communication both personally and via telephone/fax/computer with the public and other hospital departments. Participates in other hospital committees and teams as appropriate. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Understands and knows how to use the hospital’s information (computer) system relating to billing/accounts receivable and its relationship to the other departments in the hospital. Understands and knows how to use Microsoft Office Outlook and other software products as appropriate. Staffing and Scheduling module for time cards.
• Addresses patient/customer questions and complaints pleasantly and effectively or directs the patient/customer to the correct person or department.
• Performs research of patient account information and follows up on questions/complaints in a timely manner.
• Prepares and sends patient accounts to assigned payers in electronic or paper format. Reviews and follows up on all patient accounts for assigned payers.
• Knows and abides by correct billing guidelines as mandated by the insurance that is being billed.
• Responsible for claims follow-up for all accounts as assigned by supervisor.
• Accepts payments (including credit card), writes receipts and makes change.
• Understands how diagnosis and procedure/supply coding relates to billing and reimbursement.
• Serves as backup to main phone line as member of PFS team.
• Data entry duties include but are not limited to: cash posting, charge entry, and bill processing.
• Supports Bartlett Regional Hospital’s strong commitment to the highest standards of business and professional ethics. Provides services in compliance with all Federal and State laws governing the Hospital’s operations.
• Assures confidentiality for all patient/customer information as per Personnel Policy 10.10.
• Knows the operation and simple maintenance of equipment located in the patient accounting department.
• Maintains good public relations with physician offices, public agencies and insurance companies.
• Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean; wears identification while on duty
• Communicates the Mission, Vision, C.A.R.E. values and goals of the facility
• Abides by the Bartlett Regional Hospital Compliance Program
• Performs other duties as assigned by the department director
• Participates in other hospital committees and teams as appropriate. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Basic computer literacy and ability to effectively learn new software programs required
• Basic computer literacy and ability to efficiently operate a variety of automated office equipment such as print/copy/scan/fax machine, calculators, etc.
• Ability to use accurate, clear and concise oral and written communication
• Ability to work as a team and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to critically think, analyze, and communicate effectively, including skills to select appropriate information display formats.
• Ability to work independently and perform assignments with minimal direction.
• Ability to ask questions when issues are not well-understood.
EDUCATION : High School or the equivalent
EXPERIENCE: Three years clerical experience preferred. Computer experience required, 10-key calculator and typing/keyboarding required. Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, Microsoft Office Outlook and Word programs and experience in Healthcare accounts receivable preferred. Proven competency in specialty area. Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the facility.
LICENSE(S) / CERTIFICATION(S): None
Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time, performing paperwork and/or computer data entry.
Be able to hear and understand verbal and telephone conversations. Be able to communicate effectively with patients/customers and other hospital staff via verbal or written means. Ability to see computer screens read and understand written communications. Spend most of the day sitting, working at computer, opening and closing file drawers, and walking between offices. Ability to lift 10-15 pounds. Ability to frequently bend, reaches, lift and stoop
Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean. Wears identification while on duty. Complies with state and federal laws for employee health requirements, such as TB testing and other requirements (see Employee Health Policy for specific requirements). For specific physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion environment, see attached Description of Physical Demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the positions.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position. BRH operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. The operational needs of departments and safety of patients may require that employees be available to work all shifts, weekends and holidays and in any department to meet the needs of the patients.
Bartlett Regional Hospital - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard
Bartlett Regional Hospital provides both in-patient and outpatient mental health services. Our six-bed in-patient Mental Health Unit...