High School Diploma/GED
Minimum of 5 years of experience
SUMMARY: The Patient Relations Coordinator is responsible for coordinating activities relating to patient advocacy, including, but not limited to, complaint management, investigation, follow-up and trending. This individual is accountable for providing support and assistance to patients and their families throughout St. Agnes HealthCare. Such assistance includes, but is not limited to, facilitating complaint resolution for patient care issues; communicating with the multi-disciplinary health care team regarding individual patient care issues; facilitating patient/family conferences; and providing education and support regarding patient rights issues.
Essential functions :
- Conducts regular reviews of key information resources, such as journals and websites related to patient advocacy and patient satisfaction, to maintain current knowledge of regulatory standards and requirements, best practices, and educational opportunities; shares this information with other staff as relevant and appropriate, and recommends content updates to policies, procedures, and patient/staff educational materials to the Director of Risk Management and AVP of Nursing Research & Education
- Demonstrates the ability to make tough decisions, is comfortable and decisive in exercising formal authority. Utilizes multiple sources of information and assessment skills to assess the level of anxiety and understanding in patients, families and staff to identify issues and opportunities, effectively analyze information and its implications, and make appropriate and timely decisions based on such analysis before intervening to facilitate the reduction of problems or issues.
- Seeks out opportunities to improve upon patient related experiences by participating in customer service quality improvement initiatives. Makes rounds each day to patient care areas, the Emergency Department and other areas to collaborate with nurse managers/directors and others regarding patient and family issues and needs.
- Uses PRS tracking system (or other designated system) to log patient complaints on a daily basis and is responsible for managing entry to resolution in the system; reviews status until closure; follows up accordingly with identified patient needs.
- Prepares trended reports for units and departments on a monthly basis or as needed.
- Maintains log of complaints identified as grievances.
- Collaborates with other health care disciplines and patients and/or families to develop realistic individualized solutions to difficult issues or situations.
Required Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Coordinates patient feedback mechanisms to include the dissemination of data and the receiving of developed initiatives of the individual departments. Appropriately refers issues to others for review and additional information and for another level of review as may be warranted. Includes the Director of Risk Management and AVP of Quality & Safety as appropriate
Preferred Education: Associates degree in healthcare, social work, liberal arts, communications or related field acceptable
Preferred Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: Active registered nurse license from the state of Maryland or a compact state
Required Experience: Five (5) years’ customer relations experience in a business or hospital setting; Working knowledge of regulatory requirements related to patient satisfaction and patient advocacy (such as those from CMS and TJC).
Preferred Experience: Ten (10) years’ customer relations experience in a business or hospital setting;
Excellent Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, MS Outlook skills