The Bethesda Clinic:
The team at University of Minnesota Physicians Bethesda Clinic provides a full range of services for you and your family. Our patients include newborns, children, teenagers, adults, the elderly, and residents of nursing homes. Our clinic offers services in general family medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, chronic and acute conditions, social services, patient education, and referral to specialty care.
The Patient Representative maintains a welcoming, friendly profile in the clinic and is responsible for the professional and efficient operation of both reception check-in and checkout procedures. Assists with phones and schedules future appointments and/or procedures. Utilizes strong customer service skills and promotes philosophy of patient centered care to meet the needs of all visitors/guests. Welcomes visitors, provides non-clinical information, takes messages, schedules appointments or procedures, collects co-pays, enters and verifies health insurance information and oversees the clinic lobby/patient waiting area. Arranges any accommodation or interpreter services needed for the patient visit. Resolves non-clinical patient issues, provides backup and coverage as needed. Helps coordinate provider schedules and appointments. Prioritizes between these functions on an ongoing basis to maximize efficiencies of clinic schedules and reduce patient waiting times. This position may be required to float to other departments at the discretion of the manager based on clinic needs.
In order to qualify for this role, you must possess:
- Post High School education.
- Basic medical terminology training and keyboarding skills
- Knowledge of environment of care and infection control practices
- Previous clerical experience in a medical or customer service setting
- Previous computer entry experience with ability to learn new applications and work processes
- Keyboarding skills of 35 wpm
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Job candidates are required to pass an online prescreening assessment for Patient Rep when applying for this position
- Good prioritization skills, data entry skills, dependable and team player
- Flexible with assignments and able to perform a wide variety of front desk functions
- Good multi-tasking and critical thinking skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Successful completion of Patient Rep training program and on the job training within 5 weeks of hire
- Knowledge of organization's purpose and goals
- Online scheduling and EMR training
- Proven ability to learn job skills and provide patient services
- Proven ability to accurately schedule appointments and interpret provider orders
- Good prioritization skills
- Ability to speak the language of served clients
- Able to adjust approaches to reflect developmental level of population served
- Ability to work comfortably with a variety of patients and guests
- Knowledge of physical, psychosocial and cognitive developmental needs of population served
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits and provide you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of healthcare through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.