Responsible for greeting patients; creating or updating patient and insurance information in computer system; generating charge ticket information; accepting, posting and balancing money and chart delivery and retrieval. Scheduling patients for follow-up visits.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS:
Independent judgment is required to identify, select, and apply the most appropriate of available guidelines and procedures. Hearing and vision correctable to normal range to clearly communicate with patients, physicians, and co-workers and read written documents. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, telephone, photocopier, and other office equipment. Ability to recognize currency and make changes accurately. Data entry speed of 25 wpm with a high degree of accuracy.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work area is located in a high traffic area where the noise level is high and continuous public contact can be stressful. Possible exposure to communicable diseases. Work schedules fluctuate often and can include evening, holiday, and weekend work. All department personnel are expected to share in covering vacancies and co-workers’ call offs even on short notice.
1) Maintain an attitude of professionalism in appearance, demeanor, speech, and conduct at all times.
2) Guard the confidentiality of patients, employees, and physicians' medical, financial, and personal information.
3) Contribute to an environment that is responsive to patient needs in a courteous and helpful manner.
4) Perform job duties safely, ethically, and responsibly.
5) Monitor and/or maintain appearance of your work area.
6) Attend in-services, meetings, and other training sessions as directed.
7) Perform the following duties as outlined and other duties assigned by supervisor.
8) Follow Hammond Clinic guidelines and procedures as modified from time to time.
9) Work scheduled hours to meet department workload, to ensure prompt patient services and maintain compliance with clinic/department attendance policy.
10) Work scheduled hours to meet department work load and ensure prompt patient services
and maintain compliance with clinic/department attendance policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (This list does not include all responsibilities.)
1) Accurately register patients in a professional manner including verifying scheduling/appointment information. Collect appropriate co-payments.
2) Review and assess patient account information according to departmental protocols and determine appropriate action for each account, such as informing patient of payment due on accounts with balances.
3) Verify insurance coverage in RealMed program or by contacting insurance companies as needed. Select and accurately enter plan codes/information in the billing system.
4) Prepare and submit insurance documentation/follow-up request to appropriate staff members so they can process refunds, re-filing of claims, reviews, collections or account adjustments.
5) Greet and follow-up on all task queues for each patient by accurately separating and preparing post-visit patient information printed by providers. Work department task queue by scheduling re-check and diagnostic testing appointments prior to the patient leaving the clinic. Report the number of patients/tasks forwarded to the Call Center queue at the end of the day for follow-up.
6) Evaluate diagnostic testing schedules to insure prompt scheduling of tests. Call appropriate ancillary department for assistance as needed in order to accommodate stat requests by providers. Advise Lead Staff if scheduling for a particular test is unavailable for 3-4 weeks so additional hours of testing can be added.
7) Communicate with Lead Staff throughout the day to inform of need for back-up or assistance to insure efficient, smooth patient flow.
8) Accurately process money transactions and balance out cash drawer once per shift in a timely manner.
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS/METHOD OF CONTACT
Written, telephone and person to person contact with employees and physicians to obtain information needed for billing and to discuss patient-related matters daily.
Written, telephone and person to person contact with patients, family members, insurance carriers, hospitals, government agencies and referring physicians concerning billing issues.
High school graduate or equivalent
Ø Successfully pass the Criminal Background check.
Ø Basic insurance knowledge as related to the registration process.
Ø Ability to accurately handle money transactions, including calculating change due for cash customers.
Ø 1 year related work experience.
Ø Strong computer skills with keyboarding speed of 25 wpm with minimum of 96% accuracy.
Ø Demonstrated effective Customer Service and excellent communications skills.
Ø Organized and able to work well with the public, able to work independently
Hammond Clinic - 6 months ago