High School Diploma/GED
Certified Nursing Assistant License Required
Current Healthcare Provider CPR Card
This is a semi-skilled intermediate position for assisting registered nurses in direct patient care activities The sitter demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care to adult and geriatric frail/elderly patients. Work requires occasional communication outside of the work group. Communication with external contacts is for providing or receiving factual information. Courtesy and tact are required in dealing with cus to mers.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Ascension Health Core Values, St. Agnes policies/ procedures and applicable civil laws. Is accountable for efficient use of resources and support of the St. Agnes mission.
1. Must maintain patient confidentiality and practice amazing service.
2. Receives assignment from the Nursing Administrative staff (nursing supervisor or secretary in the Nursing Office).
a. Upon arrival to the assigned unit, reports to the Clinical Unit Coordina to r or charge nurse, who will give the patient assignment (room number and nurse assigned to that patient).
b. Notify the nurse assigned to that patient of arrival and obtain report for the patient.
c. Obtain report from current sitter or PCT. The report will include patient behavior, current and expected activities and other pertinent information related to that patient’s care.
3. Must be within one arm’s length of the patient at all times
4. Remain with patient until relieved.
d. If patient is scheduled to leave the unit, assigned sitter will accompany the patient.
e. If it is not necessary to accompany the patient, sitter will report to Clinical Unit Coordina to r or charge nurse for other tasks while waiting for the patient to return.
f. If supplies are needed while sitting with the patient, use the nurse call system to request those items to be brought to the patient’s room.
5. Notify the nurse assigned to the patient immediately of any change in the patient’s behavior or condition using the nurse call system.
6. Communicates the necessary information to the nurse by informing the nurse of any changes in mental status and any patient complaints or other problems.
7. Attends to patent’s needs and reports needs and interactions to the RN. Provides assistance to the patients with activities of daily living:
g. Provides AM and PM care, baths, grooms, turns and positions patients and ensures that hygiene and comfort needs are met.
h. Makes patients’ bed.
i. Serves and feeds patients.
j. Helps patients on and off the bedpan.
k. Empties bedpans, urinals, and Foleys.
l. Reports intake and output.
m. Ensures a safe therapeutic environment by orienting patients to location and use of call light, phone, bed controls, overbed lights and bathroom.
n. Provides emotional support and mental stimulation to patients appropriate to their age.
8. Obtains routine and clean caught urine specimens.
9. Assists patients with mobility activities:
o. Transfers patients to chairs, wheelchair, stretcher, and bedside commode.
p. Assists patients with ambulation.
10. Observes patient in order to ensure safety of patient and check general condition of patient.
11. Assists in maintaining infection control through following the guidelines for standard precautions and adhering to isolation technique.
12. Adheres to additional duties and responsibilities specific for suicide precautions as outlined in the sitter policy.
13. Adheres to additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the nurse
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education: N/A
Required Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: Must be certified in the state of Maryland as a CNA and have a current CPR certifications from the American Heart Association (Healthcare Provider card) or the American Red Cross (CPR-AED for Healthcare Provider card).
Preferred Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: N/A
Required Experience: No experience
Preferred Experience: Previous CNA experience
Saint Agnes Hospital - 19 months ago