To protect the students, staff, equipment and facilities of the Kansas City, Missouri School District. .
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• The security officer shall be under the direct supervision of the Assistant Patrol Manager to whose area they are assigned. The security officer shall perform all duties as prescribed by the Assigned Manager, and/or Director. Job duties require continued readiness to respond to situations within specified departmental procedures that may be life threatening or injurious; includes exposure to dangerous chemicals or other toxic substances, communicable diseases, fire, gun shots, physical confrontations, etc.
• Duties are performed as assigned in all weather conditions and on any shift (day or night). Must be able to work any shift as assigned with the understanding that the Security Department has a 24-hour responsibility to protect the students, staff, equipment and facilities of the Kansas City, Missouri School District.
• General duties consist of preserving the peace, protecting District property, preventing criminal acts, apprehension of violators, enforcement of District policies, enforcement of the Student Handbook, and adherence to the policies and procedures contained in the Security Department’s Operations Manual. Must be able to react to situations utilizing appropriate levels of force as required and within the Security Departments and District Wide level of force options.
• If assigned to a school environment, the security officer shall act at the direction of the Principal of the school to which assigned for day- to- day activities. However, the security officer will remain under management control of the Safety Security Department Management.
• If assigned to the Central Office Building, the security officer will be under the direct supervision of the Security Manager on duty.
• Ability to observe situations analytically, impartially, and objectively to record them clearly and completely; must use sound logic and judgment to react quickly and appropriately in dangerous and emergency situations. Written reports should be clear, concise, and complete with minimal spelling and grammar errors.
• Shall familiarize themselves with Federal, State, and city ordinances as they apply to the School District.
• Shall be familiar with all policies and administrative directives that affect the operation of the Security Department.
• Respond to all radio calls directed to them by use of their assigned radio.
• Be exemplary in the performance of all duties and assignments.
• Conduct foot patrols (monitor) both inside and outside of assigned schools.
• Have the ability to remain professional and objective in all types of situations. Exercise sound judgment while under stress.
• Attend all in-service training, as may be required by the Security Department Management.
• Shall accept transfers to different assignments that are in the best interest of the District.
• Responsible for maintaining and cleaning department issued equipment and assigned vehicles.
• Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written orders.
• Initiate contact with and maintain a good working relationship with other law enforcement agencies and security organizations during the performance of their job.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
• Successfully pass the District’s pre-employment drug screen.
• Successfully pass the District’s pre-employment physical (medical) exam.
• Successfully pass the entrant Safety & Security Officer exam.
• Must be able to qualify with the selected handgun issued by the Security Department. Must be able to qualify with the selected handgun as outlined by the Kansas City, Missouri Board of Police Commissioners, Officer of Private Officers Commission.
• Qualify for and maintain a Private Officers’ Commission commensurate with an assignment. Note: Must successfully pass the District drug screen when renewing Private Officers’ Commission annually.
• Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
• Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
• Be insurable with the District insurance provider.
1. Previous law enforcement and/or security experience.
2. Prior experience in taking into custody, controlling and/or transportation of juveniles.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires that the employee be able to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time. The job requires the employee to speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers, bend, and stoop. Employee must be able to walk & run up and down stairs and engage in physical confrontations in all types of climatic conditions during the day or night. The job requires the employee to be able to do some lifting up to 50 lbs. The job requires that the employee be able to hear. Visual ability requires mono and color vision. Vision must be correctable to 20/20. The job requires the employee to be able to drive a motor vehicle for long periods of time during the day time and nighttime and in all type of weather conditions. The job requires the employee to enter and exit a motor vehicle several times throughout their assigned work shift.
Kansas City, MO School District - 8 months ago