Under general supervision; maintains safety, enforces university rules and regulations, and protects life and property within the University community. Acts as the first responder to campus emergencies and initiates appropriate emergency response procedures as needed. Responds to reports of crimes, suspicious circumstances, and other general calls for service and prepares detailed written reports of activities. Conducts proactive patrol of University buildings, facilities, property, and other assets. Works collaboratively with other University departments as well as external police agencies in resolving incidents. Interacts with Villanova community members in a professional and positive manner employing effective community service oriented techniques and tactics. Assists in providing a safe and secure environment for University community members to work, live, and pursue their academic goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs preventative patrol. Uses judgement to patrol areas of potential criminal activity; prioritizes patrol pattern.
- Responds to emergency incidents, including medical emergencies, fire alarms, and burglary alarms; assumes control of the situation prior to the arrival of a supervisor.
- Conducts preliminary investigations of criminal incidents and other general calls for assistance; prepares clear and concise initial incident reports. Assumes control of the scene prior to arrival of superior officers or investigators, if appropriate.
- Enforces campus parking regulations; checks for valid vehicular parking stickers and permits. Issues tickets as needed or directed; alerts supervisors to traffic hazards or violations that could result in a vehicle being towed and/or booted.
- Fills in periodically to perform the duties of a Communications Officer in the Public Safety Communications Center.
- Staffs special event assignments, including athletic competitions, homecoming and commencement. Maintains crowd control and provides instructions and directions to event attendees and staff.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Ability to become certified in Emergency Response through the American Red Cross within 12 months of hire.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and must be an approved University driver in accordance with the University’s Motor Vehicle Record Policy for Drivers of University Vehicles.
- 3 years of experience in police, security, EMS or fire setting, preferably in a college or university environment. Comparable duties in the military accepted.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
Must be willing to work overtime details as needed or assigned. Ability to work round the clock shift-work. Walking for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours per day); running; lifting pulling, pushing, and carrying up to 50 lbs alone and over 100 lbs. with assistance; bending, kneeling, and squatting. Both gross and fine motor skills are needed, as well as visual, hearing, speaking, touching, tasting, and smelling sensory skills.
Special Message to Applicants:
Open Until Filled
Salary Posting Information:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you first hear of this employment opportunity?
- Career Builder Website
- Higheredjobs.com Website
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Career Link Website
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Advertisement in Local Newspaper
- Advertisement in Academic or Professional Publication
- Referred by a current or former employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Browsing the Villanova website
Cover Letter / Letter of Interest
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Founded in 1842, Villanova University is the worldwide leader in professional education online. A traditional, accredited university located...