This position will provide assistance and support in meeting the objectives of the payroll department to ensure accurate and timely payments to all NSU employees; stay current on all payroll and tax related filings, including W-2, W-3, Form 941 and others including states where NSU maintains employees, as well as, international locations; stay current on all FLSA laws for compliance with all legal entities.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Assure that all Federal and state taxes are submitted timely and accurately; review all payroll reports for accuracy and detection of problems.
2. Work independently to solve payroll issues with all levels of staff, making complex decisions based on knowledge of payroll and tax laws.
3. Reconcile payroll liability accounts and determine any corrective actions that need to be taken to ensure general ledger liability balances. Prepare journal entries as needed.
4. Monitor and keep current with government regulations regarding payroll and related issues to ensure that the University is in compliance with all applicable regulations and laws.
5. Oversee payroll withholding tax function to ensure that all proper tax filings are submitted timely and accurately to prevent costly penalties and fines from taxing authorities.
6. Assist the Director of Payroll to provide NSU auditors and external auditors with information in the performance of all studies.
7. Support the Director of Payroll in all aspects of foreign payroll, complying with foreign tax requirements and labor laws.
8. Reconcile with W-2 process to 941s, and research any discrepancies.
9. Determine the proper handling of consultant/employee payments based on tax law.
10. Use accepted best practices and specific knowledge and experience in overall job performance.
11. Support the payroll staff and the Director of Payroll in the discharge of the payroll function.
12 Research and develop payroll procedures and policies, forms and practices to achieve greater staff production and to improve service to the campus community.
13. Work with the Director of Payroll, Finance and Accounting to resolve payroll issues, including but not limited to EDRT
14. Support the Director of Payroll on issues related to Non-resident Alien taxes for student workers and staff.
15. Support the processing of W-2's and 1042's from Banner and distribution and production of corrected forms and reprints.
16. Other duties and projects as assigned by the Director of Payroll.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Produces payroll during emergencies.
2. Backs up Payroll Tax Specialist in all duties related to taxes, garnishments and moving expenses.
3. Input and auditing of payroll when needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others.
2. Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
3. Ability to work and cooperate with colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels.
4. Knowledge of Payroll Processing.
5. Knowledge of FLSA, employment laws and tax laws and regulations.
6. Knowledge of Federal and State tax forms and filing.
7. Knowledge of garnishment and levy processing.
8. Knowledge of best practices and standard procedures for tax reporting.
9. Ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
10. Ability to perform basic and complex math functions.
11. Ability to meet all deadlines.
12. Ability to maintain full confidentiality regarding payroll and wage/salary data and issues, safeguarding the confidentiality of department or office administration by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, students and staff.
13. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences and/or professional literature.
Major (if required):
1. Minimum of three to five (3-5) years experience working in payroll.
2. Banner payroll knowledge.
3. Internet proficiency.
Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related preferred.
Is this a safety sensitive position (are applicants potentially subject to drug testing)?
Does this position require a criminal background screening?
Nova Southeastern University - 7 months ago
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) gives a whole new meaning to "school of sharks." NSU, whose mascot is the deep sea predator,...