The Payroll Specialist is responsible for all areas of payroll processing for both U.S. and Canadian semi-monthly payrolls. The primary responsibility is to produce timely and accurate payroll checks and ensure the accuracy of payroll information for reporting purposes. Intermediate knowledge of multi-state payroll processing is essential, with Ceridian experience preferred. Additionally, the Payroll Specialist plays a significant role in collaborating with other support business units, including Finance, Compliance, and Legal, as required.
The ideal candidate will have the acumen to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities and balance projects with the urgency of daily operations. He or she must also have the demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information, behaving with the highest level of integrity at all times. Solid organizational skills and the ability to execute with a high attention to detail are essential requirements for this role. The applicant must exhibit the skills to collaborate within a team, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact with all levels of the organization. HRIS experience, especially with Workday, will be considered a plus.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
The successful candidate will have demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Ensure integration from HRIS is loaded and audited with 100% accuracy.
- Upload and audit all earnings, including hours worked, exception time, and commission payments.
- Calculate and process all payroll related changes including but not limited to: transfers, terminations, promotions, and changes in compensation including salary/rate and retroactive pay increases, and other pre- or post-tax deductions.
- Verify/Audit payroll output against payroll reports and registers prior to distribution of checks to maintain accuracy.
- Process wage attachments, calculating per payroll deduction as necessary, following all state and federal guidelines.
- Uploads and audits health and life insurance premiums and maintain other voluntary deductions and garnishments.
- Respond to and resolve all payroll inquiries and make resultant changes. Report to manager any problems/changes that may impact Russell financially.
- Research and timely resolve any payroll system problems.
- Run audit reports and post-payroll reports, including General Ledger integration files.
- Ensure accurate and timely accounting, recordkeeping and management of payroll related data; perform audits and reconciliations of payroll information.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding employees’ information at all times.
- Support the implementation of payroll-related initiatives and projects.
- Minimum 3 years of payroll experience; in-depth knowledge of payroll administration processes, procedures and best practices
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration preferred but not required
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state wage and tax laws (especially CA and NY), HR benefits administration, and HR compliance regulations surrounding payroll
- Experience working with payroll vendors and payroll applications; experience with Ceridian HPL and Workday preferred
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Canadian payroll experience a plus
- Expatriate payroll processing experience a plus
- General Ledger experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability and desire to provide high level of customer service; interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and professionalism
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Good judgment and decision making skills
No longer Frank Russell's company (it's a subsidiary of Northwestern Mutual), Russell Investments provides investment services to...