What You Will Do:|
Supervises the day to day operations of the corporate Payroll office according to federal and state regulations as well as established UMMS policies and procedures.
1. Supervise the day to day operations of the UMMS Payroll and Payroll staff that are responsible for the timely payment of employee wages and benefits in accordance with UMMS policies and various governmental regulations.
2. Supervise the operations of the UMMS Payroll office applying payroll policies and procedures as well as federal, state and local tax and pay-related labor laws or regulations governing the delivery of payroll services to insure the prompt, effective and efficient delivery of payroll services.
3. Supervise all Payroll staff for multiple payroll processes for each UMMS entity. Monitors work to ensure effective and efficient departmental functions as directed by the manager. In collaboration with the Manager, hires and trains new staff members, conducts performance evaluations and handles corrective action issues.
4. Ensures the reconciliation of system inputs to outputs by reconciling system reporting tools to remit taxes to all states and federal authorities.
5. Supervise the process of disbursement requests and remittance advices necessary to render timely and accurate payment to agencies and vendors to satisfy payroll deduction and benefit premium payments.
6. Monitors the timeliness and efficiency of payroll, to assure that payroll services meet the needs of UMMS employees in accordance with established department standards, practices and procedures.
7. Provides guidance and direction and assists the Payroll staff in handling difficult payroll-related questions/problems as necessary. Resolves conflicts with employees and vendors concerning payment issues.
8. Communicates regularly with various hospital departments and system support to resolve payroll issues of concern.
9. Maintains and provides acceptable records and support documents for all internal and external auditors. Files monthly, quarterly and annual tax and unemployment reports. Files periodic reports with the Internal Revenue Services, Social Security Administration and Income Tax Divisions of the states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or an equivalent related field is required, a combination of education and experience may be considered.
2. Five years progressively responsible experience performing payroll accounting work. Experience in budget management is preferred.
3. Two years of lead/supervisory responsibility, preferably overseeing the work of payroll staff is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Proficiency with spreadsheet and database software is required. Knowledge of state and federal tax laws and federal labor laws related to pay practices is required. Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting principles is required.
2. Proficient mathematical skills are required, including calculating percentages, addition, subtraction, and multiplication, using a calculator or related equipment as appropriate or otherwise be able to manipulate numbers.
3. Ability to operate a personal computer with working knowledge of the keyboard configuration. Ability to operate routine office equipment and photocopier.
4. Proficient supervisory and management skills are required in order to monitor and audit daily work activities, develop and implement efficient work processes, evaluate, train and motivate the performance of subordinate staff.
5. Proficient customer service skills are required. Proficient problem-solving skills are required to successfully resolve difficult payroll-related discrepancies for the common good.
6. Highly effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to work effectively with various supervisory, management and administrative staff throughout the organization.
University of Maryland Medical System - 16 months ago