Find them, grow them, and keep them. - Google
We held our first team retreat when we could all fit into a 2-bedroom house upstate. We redefined our company core values as a team when Skillshare was 1 year old. We just took this class on Hiring for Startups: How to Listen, Sell, and Not Be a D*ck and thought it was brilliant. We regularly ask ourselves these 3 essential questions: 1) what is my job? 2) how do I know if I'm succeeding? 3) how does my work tie into Skillshare's larger vision to create the worlds biggest learning community?
At Skillshare, culture isn't defined by team Friday lunches with a chef (although weve got em!). It's about making no compromises when it comes to finding the most excellent teammates to join us and doing everything we can to ensure our team is succeeding.
As we grow, we're looking to bring on a People Culture Manager who can help us scale. This job has three main components:
1. Recruitment: Help us build the Skillshare team as we grow, finding the absolute best, right people for the spots we have open. Implementing a rigorous and core values-infused interview process is key for this part of the role.
2. Onboarding: From the moment new team members join Skillshare, our mission and culture should be tangible for them. A thorough and meaningful onboarding program is the foundation for team-wide satisfaction and success.
3. Retention: It's nonnegotiable to assemble a team of true A-players, and it's essential to keep them. From talent development and regular feedback cycles to pure fun, you'll run programs aimed at measuring employees' success and keeping them on board.
- At least 2 years of work experience in recruiting, HR, or customer support
- HR Experience - While this is not necessary, it would be helpful if you had experience with compensation + benefits, employee paperwork, and recruitment software to track applicants, interviews, and hires.
- Recruiting Experience - Especially software / technical recruiting, since we're always looking to add highly talented engineers and designers to our team.
- Technical Understanding - We've got 2 teams, Product and Community. You'll need to know which skillsets match our needs on both sides of the table and be able to talk the talk with any of our candidates, whether they're engineers or marketing folks.
- Excellent and compelling listener and communicator - You've internalized the delicate balance between The Boiler Room and Tony Robbins approaches, and you've got your own genuine style.
- Team player both on and off the court - Whether you're working closely with the Skillshare leadership team or at a networking event, you enjoy building relationships and talking to interesting, intelligent people (you'll be doing a lot of that!)
- Strong organizational skills - You must be able to plan and execute programs of all kinds, from all-team retreats to company parties, and onboard multiple people at once.
- Believe in our vision and culture deeply - We'll spend our interview learning about each other, but it's ultimately imperative that you're passionate about what we're passionate about. You're our first line of defense for new team members and community members!
- Startup experience - Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Skillshare, so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as you set up processes and frameworks for us to grow into.
Our hiring processes are unusually thorough. There are competency interviews but also a chronological interview in which we ask about your entire career - all your successes, mistakes, key decisions, and key relationships. All finalists are asked to arrange personal reference calls with former managers.
The benefits to high performers who apply are many: 1) you'll join our family with almost all high performers; 2) career opportunities with Skillshare are unusually good because so many high performers continue to grow the company; 3) 90% of people who join us are happy on the job a year later and are rated High Performer; and 4) within a couple weeks of joining us you'll receive comprehensive coaching to help you assimiliate smoothly, perform very quickly, and begin formulating your individual development plan to help you grow.
Skillshare - 21 months ago