Basic Function: Provides high level expert services to optimize Metso client’s mill performance in terms of production, quality, cost and environmental impact. Performs complex multidimensional performance analysis of client’s processes to identify potential improvements, troubleshoot and correct performance problems. Develops and maintains customer performance improvement roadmap. Provides technical expert support to project and service personnel in the design of advanced control strategies, technology implementation, commissioning and maintenance of advanced process control and real time optimization solutions. Solutions are implemented utilizing advanced and optimization technologies such as: multi-variable model predictive controls, statistical and first-principal process modeling, multi-variate analysis (PCA-PLS), and optimization techniques (QP, LP). Participates in the development of existing optimization applications and creation of new applications to take to market. Evaluates new market potential to apply known and novel process optimization techniques to deliver customer performance improvement.
Ensures installed systems are operating and providing peak performance for our customers. Monitors performance of installed systems globally. Identifies performance issues and directs project and service team members to problem resolution or solution implementation.
1. Performs as an industry domain expert providing expert consulting services to customers and internal Metso advanced control and optimization engineering teams.
2. Performs mill performance analysis to benchmark mill performance, identify performance improvement opportunities, and troubleshoot performance problems.
3. Evaluates existing optimization systems and works with product management and R&D to design system improvements to deliver customer performance and/or reduce cost and execution time.
4. Evaluate market potential for optimization applications and design trial systems to work with industry partners in “proof of concept” projects.
5. Guide technical implementation of novel technologies at customer sites to ensure customer and Metso objectives are achieved.
6. Designs performance solutions using advanced control and optimization technologies.
7. Develops solutions to specific performance improvement objectives and estimates engineering requirement to delivery performance results in the sales process.
8. Provides expert support to project teams to execute projects as a lead application engineer and in a technical mentoring role:
a) Define scope of work,
b) Develop application specifications,
c) Ensure technical implementation in terms of completeness and quality for all assigned project team members,
d) Provide technical guidance and training for project assigned team members,
e) Provide guidance and training to customer’s mill operations, engineering and maintenance personnel for performance management.
9. Responsible for performance of customer process (projects and support of existing installations), provide continued expert support for customer’s sustained performance improvement results.
10. Provide extensive contact with customers for mill manufacturing performance improvement during the life cycle of the installed systems.
11. Contribute to continuous improvement of best practices throughout the group
12. Perform other duties typical to this position as assigned.
Works primarily in an office or home office.
B.S. Degree in Chemical, Electrical (EET or EE) (Masters Preferred), Control Engineering or P&P Engineering Technology.
10 Years Experience in pulp and paper, chemical oil and gas, mining and minerals or other processing industry.
Experience in process performance analysis, troubleshooting and optimization using data mining and varying analysis techniques.
Experience heavy industry process operations, plant process control, and plant engineering and maintenance.
Experience in advanced process controls engineering. (Regulatory, advanced regulatory and Advanced control technologies (MPC, RTO, Non Linear Control, Properties predictors/Software sensors).
Experience in distributed control systems, mill information systems
Experience in Scripting languages, Matlab,
Experience in Frequency Domain Analysis, Control Tuning
Experience in process engineering and process simulation
Averaging 50% travel within North America but travel may be international on occasion.
Maintain a valid driver’s license. Hardware and software projects specifications. Collaborates well and must work independently, make decisions occasionally in stressful conditions. Ability to form professional relationships with customers and employees and communication skills are critical. Self-managed style and able to routinely prioritize and organize work.
We offer a competitive benefits package and challenging work opportunities.
Metso is an equal opportunity employer. No agencies.
Please attach your resume for consideration for this position.
Metso's beyond mezzo when it runs the scale of energy, mining, and paper. The heavy equipment company operates in several segments and...