Under the direction and supervision of the Center Manager, the Personal Care Attendant provides personal care services to CalOptima PACE participants in the day health center, as well as other activities and tasks as assigned to assist the primary care, therapy, and adult day health staff.
- Provides personal care and escort assistance in accordance with individual treatment plans – including peri-care, grooming, dressing, showering, bathing, toileting, feeding, ambulation.
- Reports observed changes in participants’ conditions to Center Manager and/or other center-based clinical staff.
- Proactively communicates participant health and safety concerns to Center Manager and/or other program staff.
- Demonstrates safe practices utilizing proper body mechanics and complying with universal precautions.
- Interacts in friendly, courteous, and professional manner with participants and their families/caregivers.
- Participates in social and recreation activities with participants as appropriate.
- Implements interventions, as appropriate to training, as directed by rehabilitation staff, including use of mechanical assistance for participant transfers and mobility.
- Occasionally accompanies participants to outside clinical appointments, when necessary.
- Assist with food service delivery and monitoring during meal times.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Communicate effectively to a variety of persons, including participants, families, staff, and other agencies.
- Work effectively in a team environment and also independently with participants.
- Care for geriatric patients in a compassionate and patient manner.
- Only act within the scope of his/her authority to practice.
- Meet a standardized set of competencies for the specific position description established by CalOptima PACE and approved regulatory agencies before working independently.
- Conduct daily physical activities in assisting frail elders in ergonomic manner to avoid injury.
- Receive and carry out orders from Interdisciplinary Team regarding personal care services and/or monitoring of participant status.
- Be medically cleared for communicable diseases and have all immunizations up-to-date before engaging in direct participant contact.
Experience & Education
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- HHA or CNA license strongly preferred.
- Minimum 6 months of clinical experience as a Personal Care Aide, Certified Nursing Assistant, or EMT.
- 1 year experience with the frail or elderly population.
- Must complete and pass the CalOptima PACE approved curriculum for Personal Care Aides upon hire.
- Geriatric population with physical disabilities and limitations.
- Proper body mechanics during provision of assistance with Activities of Daily Living.
- Safe and sanitary personal care techniques for elderly population with physical limitations.
CalOptima - 17 months ago