Job Duties Include: The Pharmacist I is a licensed professional who is responsible for providing safe and appropriate pharmacy services to Walgreens patients in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Walgreens, pharmacy practice professional standards, and applicable regulatory entities. This is an entry level position into the practice of clinical pharmacy in the alternate setting. The staff Pharmacist I coordinates patient services with the Nursing Department, monitors patient progress toward goals and educates patients, caregivers, staff and other professionals regarding appropriate medication use.
Determines the suitability of individual patients for home care. Collects and organizes all patient-specific information needed to determine the suitability of patients for home care. Assesses patients' suitability for home care in accordance with Walgreens policies. Medical condition and prescribed medication therapy suitable for home care services and prognosis with clearly defined outcome goals. Designs, recommends, monitors and evaluates patient-specific pharmacy care plans for the pharmacotherapy of home care patients. When appropriate, makes suitable recommendations for modifications in the prescribed medication therapy or monitoring parameters for a home care patient. Collects and organizes patient-specific information needed to prevent, detect, and resolve medication-related problems and to make appropriate medication therapy recommendations. Appropriate monitoring parameters are identified for each patient. Completes nutritional assessment of patients and makes appropriate recommendation.
Modifies the pharmacy care plans for home care patients based on evaluation of monitoring data and other pertinent patient-specific information. Competent in use of pharmacokinetic principles and formulas. Competent in assessing patient laboratory values. Provides medication-use education to Walgreens staff, other professionals, home care patients and/or their caregivers. Uses effective patient education techniques to provide counseling to home care patients and/or their caregivers. Ensures continuity of pharmaceutical care to and from the home and other patient-care settings. Uses a systematic procedure to communicate pertinent patient information to and from the home and other patient-care settings. Prepares and dispenses medications using appropriate techniques and following Walgreens policies and procedures. Accurately calibrates equipment. Prepares medications so they are appropriately concentrated, without incompatibilities, stable, and appropriately stored. Adheres to appropriate safety and quality assurance practices. Prepares labels that conform to the organization's policies and procedures. Medication contains all necessary and/or appropriate ancillary labels. Inspects the final medication before dispensing. Assures presence of authorization to dispense. Complies with state/federal laws and USP standards, including Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) controlled substance regulations set forth by the state and DEA. Complies with policies regarding the perpetual inventory systems for schedule II narcotics, controlled substances and other medications subject to diversion.
Manages the use, maintenance, and troubleshooting of medication administration equipment and medication-related equipment used in the management of home care patients. Accurately programs, maintains and gives advice to others on the use and maintenance of all medication administration and medication-related equipment used by Walgreens. Participates in the process for assessing, managing, and reporting medication-related incidents and equipment error and/or failures. Accurately completes QAR documents according to the Walgreens policy. Monitors and reports discrepancies in perpetual inventory systems for schedule II narcotics and other medications subject to diversion. Provides concise, applicable, and timely response to requests for drug information from health care providers and home care patients. Formulates responses to drug information requests based on analysis of the literature. Attends educational seminars or participates in other CEU opportunities in order to promote professional competency and complies with state mandated CEU requirements.
Manages the use of investigational drug products according to established regulations and Walgreens policies and procedures. Utilizes pharmacy support personnel effectively. Prioritizes the workload and organizes the workflow, taking into account available resources. Needed work is accomplished in the time available. Ensures the accuracy of the work of pharmacy support personnel. In all activities, complies with accreditation, legal, regulatory, and safety requirements. Maintains confidentiality of patient and proprietary information. Observes legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary Walgreens information.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Pharmacy and at least 1 year of experience with knowledge of sterile IV admixture procedures or equivalent knowledge of non-sterile compounding, immunizations and MTM and License in good standing with the Board of Pharmacy.
- Required licensure in Pharmacy as granted by the Board of Pharmacy.
- Access to a reliable means of transportation which will enable the incumbents to make home visits to treat/attend to their patients. If such means of transportation would include a personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license and a proof of insurance would be required.
- Experience providing customer service to internal and external customers, including meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
- Willing to travel up to 5% of the time for business purposes (within state).
- Completion of a Post Graduate residency program
- Experience in home care or hospital setting.
- At least 1 year of experience in indirect management of team members, including assisting in the development, training and assignment of work/projects to other team members.
Walgreens - 13 months ago
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That is our core purpose and the difference we make in people's lives every day. Our...