Hospital - Assists in the technical aspects of the distribution of medications and related functions under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and/or upper level technician to aid in the delivery of patient care.
Retail Pharmacy - Assists in the pharmacy front end and cashiering aspects of the distribution of medications and related functions under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and/or Registered Pharmacy Technician.
PERFORMS SPECIFIC AND CLEARLY DEFINED PHARMACY SERVICES AND DUTIES UNDER THE CLOSE SUPERVISION OF THE PHARMACIST AND/OR UPPER LEVEL TECHNICIAN.
WORKS TO CONTRIBUTE TO A QUALITY WORK ENVIRONMENT.
- Assists in maintaining pharmacy drug stock by regularly checking for products that are outdated and/or low in inventory level; communicates immediately with the pharmacist when inventory levels are low.
- Performs proper cash register procedures and other charging mechanisms when waiting on patients with prescriptions and other purchases.
- Assists in pharmacy secretarial and/or clerical duties to the best of their ability as required.
- Trains in computer skills under the close supervision of a pharmacist and/or upper level technician. (Hospital Only)
- Accurately delivers medication to patients using correct processes and procedures. (Retail Only)
- Proficient in the use of the pharmacy computer system under the close supervision of a pharmacist and/or upper level technician. (Retail Only)
- Consistently follows proper procedures for obtaining accurate patient information (e.g., allergies, height, weight, birthdate, SSN and/or any other pertinent data). (Retail Only)
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC : HOSPITAL ONLY
- Communicates with relevant personnel regarding drug distribution in a courteous and prompt manner.
- Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly, and fully stocked work environment in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Answers incoming phone calls and responds to the needs of the caller and/or directs them to the appropriate person for service in a professional manner.
- Stocks, cleans and faces prescription and OTC shelves in the appropriate manner. ( Retail only)
- Has good working knowledge of all pharmacy equipment (e.g., fax machines, copier, scales, cash register, etc.).
- Attends all mandatory technical staff meetings.
PERFORMS DELIVERY AND STOCKING DUTIES TO ENSURE PROPER DRUG DISTRIBUTION.
PERFORMS OTHER POSITION APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS REQUIRED IN A COMPETENT, PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER.
- Delivers medication appropriately to patients, and delivers delivery carts to floors daily.
- Stocks, cleans and faces prescription and OTC shelves in the appropriate manner.
- Delivers medication to the specific nursing units, and records the delivery on log sheet accurately.
- Trains in admixing and dispensing duties under the direct supervision of pharmacist or upper level technician.
- Admixes parenteral admixtures under the direct supervision of pharmacist or upper level technician in an appropriate manner.
- Restocks IV supplies and medications as needed and accurately.
- Trains on APRS machine in an appropriate manner.
- Compounds items for satellite and hospital clinics in an appropriate manner.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY
- Science background and/or college level work; general knowledge of math and chemistry preferred.
- In hospital setting, must become Nationally Certified, registered with the TSBP and complete the Scott & White Pharmacy Tech Course within one year of employment.
- Hospital - Hospital or pharmacy experience preferred.
- Retail Pharmacy- Pharmacy and / or cashier experience preferred.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: H. S. Graduate/GED Equivalent
Department: Health Plan College Station Pharmacy
Standard Hours Per Week: 1
Scott & White - 23 months ago