JOB TITLE: Pharmacy Technician I
GENERAL SUMMARY: Assists pharmacist in various sections of the department according to the assignment. Learns methods and procedures for unit dose drug distribution system, preparing sterile solutions using aseptic technique, packaging and labeling of drugs, handling of DEA controlled substances, billing, receiving stock, and clerical record keeping duties.
1. Exemplifies the values of New England Baptist Hospital and the ROSE philosophy.
2. Complies with all New England Baptist Hospital policies and the Code of Excellence.
Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
3. Department Specific Responsibilities:
Functions as a Pharmacy Technician in all the areas that technical personnel are usually assigned:
Learns procedure for stocking and maintaining inventory in storeroom, on storage shelves, and in picking stations.
Fills patient medication drawers in the Unit Dose Medication System and delivers same to Nursing Units according to predetermined schedule.
Maintains control records for controlled substances and tax-free alcohol usage; and assists in the preparation and delivery of controlled substances to Nursing Units, as necessary.
Assists with dispensing, packaging, and labeling of drug orders and prescriptions under direct supervision
Receives incoming stock and processes necessary paperwork.
Processes charges and credits and maintains records in assigned area.
Fills drug orders for floor stock and other departments and specialty areas, as necessary.
Covers another technician's scheduled time as requested.
Maintains work area in a clean and neat condition.
Interacts with physicians, nurses, and other hospital personnel in a courteous manner.
Takes appropriate actions when identifying a patient in a wandering gown or high risk of falling (which is signified by yellow smiley face on patient door).
4. Mixes and prepares parenteral solutions when assigned to the IV Admixture Room:
Prepares sterile solutions in a Laminar air flow hood using aseptic technique.
Delivers cassettes and IV solutions to nursing units.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
6. Attends annual safety review.
7. Plans time away from work appropriately:
Arrives and leaves at designated times.
b. Uses unplanned earned time appropriately.(Based on full time hours. Standards are pro-rated for part-time employees based on agreed hours.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Pharmacy Technician Certification, and current Massachusetts licensure
- 1. High school diploma or high school equivalency certificate. It is highly desirable for applicants to have also completed two years of college or to be a high school graduate with employment experience comparable to college training.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None required
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
1. Maintains competencies (position specific and hospital-wide) required for the specific patient population served.
OSHA EXPOSURE: The nature of the tasks/responsibilities required of employees in this position will likely expose them to blood and bodily fluids. Employees will be oriented to and required to understand and follow the universal precautions for infection control.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
Reports to the Director, Pharmacy
No supervisory responsibilities.
When most of us think of Memphis, we think of Elvis Presley. When doctors think of Memphis, they think of Elvis and Baptist Memorial...