High School graduate or equivalent required
Works under the supervision of the Director of Pharmacy and the pharmacist(s) on duty. Assists pharmacists in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the inventory, and maintaining patient records. All work is verified by a registered pharmacist. Assists the department and patient care areas in identification and resolution of patient safety issues related to medication use.
1. Procures and distributes drug orders per physician request, pharmacist request or prearranged work assignment. Prepares intravenous admixture or other sterile products including chemotherapy accurately using aseptic technique. Packages unit dose medications according to policy. Replenishes medications in floor stock and patient care areas and automation systems accurately and rotates stock to ensure use before expiration. Fills orders, kits, carts and requisitions accurately.
2. Receives, inventories, and distributes controlled substances according to legal guidelines. Checks inventory for adequate supply and outdated items.
3. Answers the phone and requests at the window and makes deliveries to patient care areas. Keeps pharmacy areas clean, neat and well organized and equipment maintained. Maintains professional appearance and attitude, following applicable dress codes.
4. Keeps pharmacy records filed and complete. Processes patient charges and credits.
5. Trouble shoots and corrects automation system problems and refers appropriately.
6. Assists in processes for the purchasing and receiving of items from wholesalers and other vendors in the absence of pharmacy buyer. Restocks medication and IV areas.
7. Participates in hospital and department performance improvement activities. Completes medication storage area inspections in a timely manner. Participates in data collection and analysis as requested. Errors, inefficiencies and inaccuracies are brought to management’s attention with suggestions for improvement. Participates in meeting quality goals and promotes safety.
8. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or pharmacist on duty. Understands and meets customer needs and expectations. The patient, prescriber and patient family members come first.
9. Consistently contributes to the team effort (e.g. assists co-workers when need is observed or upon request, offers constructive suggestions, exhibits willingness to resolve problems as they arise.) Completes assigned work within the agreed upon time frame. Participates in precepting students and new staff as required. Complies with department standards including mission, positive attitude, conduct and mandatory requirements. Keeps up to date on department and clinical services policies and procedures and regulatory standards.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
COMMUNICATION: Determines and demonstrates effective communication methods and defines appropriate lines of authority for the department/program in keeping with administrative and committee structure. Uses all methods of communication to disseminate information to staff in a timely manner. Demonstrates effective oral communication. Demonstrates effective written communication. Discusses personnel, patient, and staff related issues in a confidential manner and setting with only those who need to know. Demonstrates effective listening skills.
TEACHING OTHERS/SELF-DEVELOPMENT : Complies with the system for ongoing competency
maintenance and develops a self assessment plan to maintain personal competency. Seeks appropriate guidance when situation dictates advanced knowledge or judgment.
- High School diploma or GED
- Completes pharmacy technician course of study or minimum of 1 year as pharmacy technician.
- Holds current Technician-in-Training license from the Wyoming State Board of Pharmacy or Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Holds current Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification as well as Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Intern License from the Wyoming State Board of Pharmacy.
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is the benefits division of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VBA provides benefits divided...