PURPOSE: Obtains blood specimens from patients using venipuncture and capillary collection methods from patients of all ages from newborn to child, adolescent, adult and geriatric. Processes specimens by centrifugation and separation. Carries out all duties while respecting member and provider confidentiality and promoting the mission and philosophy of the organization supported.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects laboratory specimens from patients of all ages.
- Processes laboratory specimens according to protocol.
- Demonstrates appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Utilizes computer information systems
- Adheres to organization and governmental standards, rules and regulations.
- Performs clerical duties
- Promotes good customer service.
- Prioritizes workload to efficiently provide Providers with information necessary.
- Performs specimen collection according to requirements and standard operating procedure.
- Demonstrates knowledge of safety collection devices and follows universal precautions.
- Adheres to patient confidentiality policy.
- Distributes laboratory reports.
- Initiates assistance to co-workers and customers as needed.
- Complies with laboratory ordering and billing compliance.
- Assists with training new personnel/students.
- Performs therapeutic phlebotomies.
- Maintains inventory of laboratory supplies.
- Maintains cleanliness of laboratory.
- Reports complaints/problems to supervisor or person in charge.
- May be required to flex to other clinics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent. Phlebotomy class preferred.
Experience: Either completion of phlebotomy class or one year of experience with adults and pediatrics .
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of/familiarity with laboratory environment
Knowledge of/familiarity with medical terminology
Excellent customer service skills.
Excellent communication, interpersonal & problem solving skills.
Ability to work in a team environment.
Ability to handle competing priorities.
Computer and keyboarding skills, including familiarity with Windows.
Certificate/License: Phlebotomy certification preferred
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm