The Phlebotomist is responsible for the efficient and safe obtaining of appropriate blood samples from patients for the performance of laboratory procedures, and for the proper processing of these samples. The Phlebotomist interacts with patients, families and visitors and medical, nursing and laboratory staff in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
1. Verifies patient identity verbally and by checking name and unique identifier on patient’s arm band before performing any specimen collection procedure.
2. Properly collects and processes specimens for in-house and reference laboratory testing.
3. Answers phone with a pleasant demeanor and assists customers in any way possible.
4. Assists with training of new hires and phlebotomy students.
5. Assists with clerical duties as needed.
6. Ensures continuity of care across shifts.
7. Fosters teamwork through participation in department activities and committees.
8. Actively seeks to improve knowledge, skills and abilities.
9. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
11. Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient’s care which results in patient harm.
12. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
13. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
14. Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
15. Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- National Phlebotomy Certification preferred
- BLS required
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Phlebotomy experience preferred
- Successful completion of phlebotomy training program or at least 5 years of phlebotomy experience required
- Customer Relations
- Read/Comprehend written instructions
- Follows verbal instructions
- Basic computer skills
HCA Inc - 2 years ago
Capital Regional Medical Center is a 242-bed acute care hospital in the beautiful Tallahassee and is a fully-accredited healthcare facility...