High School graduate or equivalent required
Performs phlebotomy, specimen collection and urine drug screen collections for hospital and non-hospital patients of all ages. Communicates with Physicians/Nursing Staff/Managers/co-workers, as appropriate about patients, specimen collection, computer issues and other laboratory issues. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in patient condition or response to phlebotomy/specimen collection. Additionally, is able to perform general laboratory duties in all laboratory departments with adequate supervision.
1. Performs phlebotomy (venipuncture, capillary and heelsticks) on all patients and as per policy. This includes: pediatric, geriatric and the general patient population. Performs specimen collection according to established laboratory procedures.
2. Properly identifies all patients per laboratory/hospital policy which conforms to the National Patient Safety Guidelines.
3. Labels all specimens per established laboratory procedures.
4. Completes blood bank bands accurately and completely according to blood bank procedures to ensure proper patient identification and safe blood transfusions.
5. Communicates with patients and family members in a way that is clearly understood. Obtains feedback regarding specimen collection instructions and post-phlebotomy instructions as necessary.
6. Performs error free urine drug screen collection with all paperwork complete. Maintains certification for urine drug screen collections on an on-going basis.
7. Able to grasp a firm understanding of the importance of the hospital and laboratory compliance program as outlined during new hire orientation and annual training.
8. Completes a minimum of (3) continuing education contact hours per year.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Personable and customer service oriented.
- Demonstrates ability to positively interact with persons of different ethnic, spiritual, moral and cultural beliefs.
- Exhibits effective decision-making skills.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Valid drivers license
- Must meet driving record guidelines set by facility
- Phlebotomy certification from an accredited agency, completion of an approved phlebotomy training course, or equivalent experience through previous employment
- Previous experience in phlebotomy or healthcare
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center - 18 months ago
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is the benefits division of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VBA provides benefits divided...