The phlebotomist is responsible for receiving patients, gathering patient registration information, ordering tests, generating specimen labels and escorting patients to phlebotomy services. The phlebotomist is also responsible for performing phlebotomy on all patient populations and for performing a variety of semi-technical and clerical tasks involving specimen receiving, sorting, data entry, record retrieval, filing, typing envelopes and responding to telephone inquiries for results, testing, general information and routing of other calls.
This position reports to the Phlebotomy Supervisor and operates within established organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Successful completion of a phlebotomy training program preferred.
- Six (6) months direct phlebotomy experience or completion of an 80 hour clinical rotation, preferably at CDHCC.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational and telephone skills required. Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, take initiative, make independent decisions and maintain organized working conditions (even in stressful situations) required.
- Must be competent in phlebotomist skills/competency checklist by end of introductory period or position will be forfeited.
- Clerical experience including medical terminology required, preferably in a laboratory setting.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational and telephone skills.
- Reliable transportation for assignments outside of the hospital requiring a vehicle.
Cooley Dickinson, a 140-bed acute care hospital, provides patient-centered health care services both at its main campus in Northampton,...