Obtains appropriate specimen by venipuncture, MMH breath test or micropuncture from all patient age groups in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings for laboratory test analysis. Performs all clerical functions required to maintain work area in a customer focused, efficient manner, Correctly orders test information into the LIS.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- No Certification required, PBT (ASCP) preferred.
- Successful completion of an accredited/non-accredited phlebotomy program.
- One (1) year full time phlebotomy experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITES:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license as well as have and maintain a good driving record free of major violations.
- 3 rd shift Phlebotomist incumbents will be cross-trained in Lab Aide duties to supplement business needs on an as-needed basis only.
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
1. Recognizes the importance of efficiency and cost effectiveness in providing services, and supports the continuous effort to conserve resources while providing individualized high quality service.
2. Collects all specimens by various phlebotomy methods for all age groups within the institution in an efficient and appropriate manner. Follow designated collection procedure and specimen requirements.
3. Correctly pre-registers patients selecting accurate account number and ordering physician. Correctly orders requested tests in laboratory computer system.
4. Performs therapeutic phlebotomies as specified in procedure (MMH).
5. Participates in the training of new employees and students as required.
6. Instructs patients that require special testing (i.e., glucose tolerance) or special specimen collection (i.e., 24-hour urine collection) in the proper procedures to follow. Correctly performs timed tests (i.e., glucose tolerance, lactose/lactulose breath tests)
7. Performs required clerical functions (answering phones, filing) to maintain work area in a customer focused, efficient manner.
8. Maintains a commitment to continue professional growth and development.
9. Labels all tubes and hardcopy documentation in appropriate manner as evidenced by supervisor and requires no recollection of improperly labeled specimens.
10. Performs nursing home and house calls in an efficient and courteous manner. Monitors the hospital vehicle performance and fuel level as exhibited by reporting any vehicle malfunction and keeping and adequate supply of fuel.
11. Complies with all infection control, epidemiology and laboratory safety policies at all times, keeps all work areas clean and disinfected.
12. Checks name band and/or identifies patient according to laboratory procedures and observes all cautionary notations (i.e., restricted limb use, allergies, ect.)
13. Stocks phlebotomy supplies daily, monitor and replace sharps containers when indicated. Puts away incoming supplies in appropriate areas and fills supply orders for offsite locations as requested. Informs supervisor of any low supply level and defective or malfunctioning equipment and supplies. Checks for outdates in assigned collection tray.
14. Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Eastern Connecticut Health Network - 24 months ago
ECHN is a not-for-profit health care system serving 19 towns in eastern Connecticut. ECHN was formed in 1995 when Manchester Memorial...