Job Title: Physical Damage Claim Field Adjuster
Job ID: 03202
Division : Claims Operations
Work Location(s): United States-Washington-Field Location
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
-Territory for this position is Olympia, Lacey, South Tacoma plus surrounding areas.
-Depending on qualifications, the selected candidate may be considered for a higher level position.
The Physical Damage Claim Field Adjuster position supports the Claim Division goal of ensuring customer service industry leadership and partners with agency to deliver seamless claim service. An experienced adjuster who can work on moderately complex physical damage claims that primarily require on-site inspection or face-to-face contact. Performs with a high degree of competency and continues to develop a mastery of skills and insurance knowledge required of an experienced adjuster. Facilitates continuous development of people, processes, and culture to ensure customer service industry leadership.
- Estimating Loss and Damages (15%)
- Determines all parties with an insurable interest including owner, named insured, lienholder, and lessor.
- Acquires reports from local, municipal, and state agencies. Continues to learn to identify and utilize key information from the reports.
- Takes and/or acquires appropriate photographs to properly document the claim file.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of and the ability to interpret Auto, Motorcycle, and Watercraft policies including applicable endorsements to resolve issues.
- Writes and reviews estimates of damage. Learns to handle more complex losses. Applies all current recommended vehicle repair and replacement procedures. Is aware of safety related repair issues and advanced vehicle systems.
- Demonstrates knowledge to answer most physical damage questions. Develops the ability to research more complex issues.
- Conducts training for claim personnel, agency force, and others as required. Completes available I-CAR and/or recommended training.
- Negotiation, Settlement (15%)
- Handles claim negotiations by settling and providing the best customer experience in the industry.
- Recognizes the need for and obtains non-waiver as needed. Recognizes the need for and sends Reservation of Rights letters.
- Recognizes, controls and resolves disputes with tact and diplomacy. Notifies or directly involves the agent in the dispute resolution. Utilizes arbitration, appraisal and alternate dispute resolution as needed. Recognizes when assistance is needed and obtains it.
- Provides a clear explanation of the estimate to the customer, answers all questions and processes the claim payment. Negotiates physical damage settlements with a diverse customer base and explains settlements, including total losses, so they are understood.
- Explains correct repair methods and identifies the industry approved equipment needed to complete the repairs.
- Negotiates repair prices and techniques with repair facilities and customers. This includes the use of aftermarket parts, salvage parts, repair versus replacement, and betterment.
- Policy Determination & Analysis (15%)
- Interprets and determines state-specific differences in policies and contract coverages and applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim history coverages. Selects proper loss codes based on policy type.
- Identifies state-specific legislation and legal precedent based on prior legal cases for assigned geographical area. Seeks assistance as needed.
- Utilizes company claim bulletins, manuals and best practices. Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting guidelines, inspects risks and makes recommendations to the Underwriting Department as needed.
- Applies decision making process to available data to determine extent of coverage or non-coverage and communicates results to appropriate parties.
- Investigation (15%)
- Investigates cause and origin of claims by contacting the appropriate parties.
- Identifies complex issues and seeks assistance as needed from management.
- Recognizes when to secure public documents to complete a claim file investigation. Secures, preserves and maintains evidence in a legal manner.
- Recognizes and investigates losses involving subrogation and salvage potential with limited supervisory direction. Uses knowledge of third party and tort liability.
- Identifies fraud files and seeks assistance as needed.
- Discusses loss with all parties, obtains statements on complex losses involving all applicable policies by applying a thorough knowledge of written and recorded statement techniques.
- Estimates or establishes salvage values. Understands and recognizes the difference between total loss and repairable vehicles. Considers factors such as hidden damage, open items, vehicle rental, and salvage value.
- File Management (15%)
- Actively manages individual claim inventory and works toward meeting cycle-time goals for closing files. Claim inventory will focus on moderately complex claims require on-site inspection and face-to-face customer interaction.
- Utilizes the electronic integrated claim system to complete and document actions throughout the life of the file.
- Conducts initial review of claims received to identify prior actions taken (e.g. services provided by the Customer Care Center and appointments scheduled) and determines next steps.
- Makes independent decisions and self-supervises most files but recognizes when assistance is needed.
- Agency Relationship (15%)
- Establishes rapport with agents and builds on-going relationships by including agents in the claim handling process as appropriate.
- Partners with agency to provide seamless customer service.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors, third party administrators and other employees. Proactively provides agents with important claim related information; provides all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers questions or redirects to other areas.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect customer service with agency, vendors, third party administrators or other claim personnel. Includes agents in problem resolution as appropriate.
- Provides agents with claim handling information via phone conversations and written correspondence.
- Field Adjusting (10%)
- Handles complex to moderately complex claims that require face to face contact with others such as claimant, insured or attorney.
- Works independently to resolve high level claims.
- Handles the most complex claims that include on-site physical inspection of vehicles.
- Acts as liaison with body shops and works closely to agree on estimates and repair amounts.
- Works closely with salvage yards and/or vehicle inspection centers to settle total vehicle losses and to obtain the highest possible salvage return.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Conflict Resolution
- Information Gathering
- Planning & Organizing
- Technical Expertise
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience in efficiently and effectively handling simple to moderately complex claims with limited supervision and/or body shop estimating experience
- Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the physical damage claim handling process.
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if necessary.
- This position requires travel up to 75% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to work with peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl between 33 and 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to talk or listen (hear) between 66 and 100% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 25 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time.
-Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
-A career move, may mean a physical move. If selected for an interview, information will be provided on the relocation assistance that is available.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...