JOB GOAL: To help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development
as mature, able, responsible, and productive citizens.
1. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at times designated.
2. Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interest, and abilities of the students.
3. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
4. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of established district curriculum goals, establishes and communicates clear
objectives to the students for all lessons, units and projects.
5. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor as required by the
6. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided
and the needs of capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
7. Strives by instruction and action to implement the district’s philosophy of education, instructional goals and objectives and performance
8. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis; provides progress reports as required, and communicates with parents
at deemed necessary.
9. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
10. Diagnoses the learning challenges of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
11. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
12. Follows the SPS a code of conduct for the classroom which is consistent with established administrative policies and develops rules of
classroom behavior which are enforced in a fair and just manner.
14. Plans and supervises assignments for paraprofessionals, and makes written evaluations as required.
15. Maintains an ongoing program of professional growth that satisfies district requirements but also satisfies personal expectations as a
16. Takes an active part in the contractually -approved teacher evaluation process, contributing to a mutual agreement concerning the
results of that evaluation.
17. Attends building and district meetings to promote communication and mutual decision making among the staff; said meetings to be
held during the extended day.
18. Attend established traditional school sponsored activities (e.g., Back to School Night, Open House, programs, activities) agreed upon
by the building administrator and the faculty consistent with the teachers’ contract.
20. Contribute to the decisions made by the district and building regarding budget, facilities, curriculum, and personal well-being.
21. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 1
$39,148 to $62,355 Per Year
Welcome to Putnam Voc Tech High Sch!
To accomplish our mission and vision, we will need the support and assistance of our entire community: students, parents, teachers, support staff, administrators and the public. Through an aligned management system, each of the following strategic priorities will serve to help ensure system wide accountability:
Goal 1: Increase district wide proficiency in ELA (English Language Arts), Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
- High Academic Achievement For 21st Century Success
Goal 2: Increase attendance rate.
Goal 3: Increase post secondary options.
Goal 4: Increase participation and performance in AP (Advanced Placement) and IB (International Baccalaureate) programs .
Goal 5: Increase participation and performance for all students on PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test), SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) and ACT (American College Test).
Goal 6: Decrease dropout rate.
Goal 7: Increase graduation rate.
Goal 1: Create and maintain a nurturing, respectful safe environment for the Springfield Public Schools students, staff and families.
- Safe Learning and Working Environment
Goal 2: Ensure an accountability system that holds all staff, students, parents and the community responsible for the safety of the SPS
Goal 3: Assess, update and maintain all SPS facilities and surrounding grounds to ensure safety.
Goal 1: Attract and retain highly qualified staff at all levels.
- Highly Qualified and Effective Staff
Goal 2: Use timely and accurate performance data for all decision making.
Goal 3: Create a performance management system that ensures accountability for all and rewards successful outcomes.
Goal 4: Provide professional development that is differentiated, targeted and monitored for results.
Goal 5: Ensure all staff is accountable for achieving clear and aligned system wide performance goals.
Goal 1: Assist and support parents and guardians to help improve learning.
- Effective Parent and Community Partnerships
Goal 2: Create a structure for families which provides referral services to help them be effective partners in their child’s education.
Goal 3: Develop a comprehensive system that supports, encourages, values, and manages community partnerships.
Goal 1: Provide 21st Century technology to support teaching and learning, ensure technological literacy, support system wide management needs.
- Appropriate Use of Resources and Equitable Funding
Goal 2: Pursue alternative and supplemental funding that support district goals and priorities.
Goal 3: Assure an equitable distribution of funding aligned with district priorities.
Goal 4: Provide for and equitably distribute approved instructional materials and supplies to support teaching and learning.
Goal 5: Improve and maintain district buildings.
Goal 6: Recruit, hire, retain and equitably allocate highly qualified diverse personnel.
Goal 7: Provide student/staff support services as needed.
Goal 1: Develop and support a high performing educational culture.
Goal 2: Develop and support effective leadership skills.
Goal 3: Develop and support a culture of shared accountability.
Goal 1: Establish a common understanding of shared goals and challenges.
Goal 2: Improve community engagement and commitment to district goals and mission.
Goal 3: Develop an interactive communication system that is respectful and responsive to the needs of staff and the community
Strategic Priorities (Printable Version) - SPS Strategic Priorities (PDF)
A Mandate for Change - A Mandate for Change (PDF)
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Springfield Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, age, handicap, or military service, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
1. Highly qualified with required competency in the content area; and
2. Appropriate content and grade level licensure from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. and
3. Bachelor’s Degree with appropriate license. or
4. Master’s Degree with appropriate content area license preferred and expected within 5 years
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
There are no application questions required for this job posting.