Provides professional medical services by serving as Primary Physician and serves as the designated health authority that is commensurate with accepted medical practice and sound financial management for the medical section's secure corrections facilities inmates.
This is the second in a series of two physician-related job classifications within the Medical job family. This classification is distinguished from the Physician I in that incumbents are responsible for a larger operational scope, typically performed in a secure environment. This classification will require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing and directing health care services provided to the medical section's secure correctional facilities inmates.
- Conducts daily Doctor's line (sick call) for inmates at medical section's secure correctional facilities. Reviews and approves all medical procedures conducted within the facilities. Provides consultation, hands-on treatment and other related medical services. Reviews and approves all protocols. Assists with formulary reviews and revisions. Maintains an up-to-date working knowledge of the available courses of treatment for the inmate population.
- Provides on-call services, normally by telephone with jail nursing staff as required during off duty hours. On call schedule is shared with other physicians and mid level providers.
- Directs staff and coordinates activities for medical health care infirmary operations staff. Provides supervision and registry support for Physician Assistants and/or Nurse Practitioners. Assists in recruiting and selecting personnel. Assists in staff performance evaluations. Provides in-service training to health care and security staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population of co-workers and inmates; to plan, assign,and/or supervise work of others.
- Provides advice and assistance in developing and implementing policies and procedures that will assure quality, effective and efficient medical and nursing care in the correctional facilities. Assists with selecting medical diagnostic and treatment tools and equipment.
- Assist with obtaining ACA/NCCHC accreditation.
- Compiles with all rules, regulations, polices and procedures.
- Assists in the analysis of any claims related to or connected with provision of medical services at the correctional facilities. Assists in the discovery as an expert for participation in arbitration or dispute resolution, as requested, by the County Attorney.
- Attends scheduled department meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited school of medicine with a degree as a medical doctor AND three (3) years of directly related, increasingly responsible experience as a physician.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Licensed to practice as a medical doctor in the State of Texas issued by the Texas Medical Board.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Training, practice and specialization in Family, Internal Medicine, or an Emergency Room setting is desirable.Experience in providing health care services in a correctional or secure institution. Familiarity with electronic medical records. Commitment to become a Certified Corrections Health Specialist (CCHP) within 1 year of initial employment. Knowledge of methods and procedures in the field commensurate with a General Practice Physician. Practicing in the State of Texas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods, procedures, rules and regulations in the field commensurate with a General Practice Physician practicing in the State of Texas.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and applicable professional health care standards and procedures.
- Management and supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Caring and treating patients.
- Using medical equipment utilized in area of assignment.
- Supervising others, including team building.
- Explaining complicated technical problems in simple non-technical language.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Communicate effectively.
- Work efficiently both independently and as part of a medical team.
- Plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinates.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Fit health care and related services into a secure environment.
- Perform in a stressful environment, while maintaining a professional manner.
- Research, compile, analyze, interpret and prepare a variety of memorandums or reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical and other County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, attorneys, judges and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-100 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 3614 Bill Price Rd, Del Valle and 509 W. 11th Street, Austin
Drug Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 20 months ago