The City of Pasadena is looking for an experienced, solution-oriented Planner to join the Planning and Community Development Department. The ideal candidate is an effective problem-solver who combines technical expertise with excellent communication skills. Come join our team of professionals!
Assignments may vary, but the current vacancy is in the Community Planning section and would focus primarily on long-range planning projects such as Master Plans, Specific Plans, General Plan and Element updates.
The following list represents some of the essential functions of the position. For more detailed information, including knowledge, skills and abilities required, please refer to the job description .
- Conducts a variety of assignments involving current or long range planning projects; confers with applicants and agency representatives to identify problems; evaluates data and proposes methods to resolve conflicting issues of plan implementation, zoning requirements, and environmental impact.
- Researches, collects and analyzes data; prepares reports and presents recommendations on land use, zoning, design, historic preservation, population, housing, social, economic and other related factors.
- Evaluates current development projects by detailed review of plans for architectural, zoning and general plan requirements; performs field surveys to identify problems and upon completion of projects to ensure conformance with applicable requirements; discusses recommendations with builders, developers, architects, and real estate professionals.
- Prepares legal notices and property descriptions; reviews for completeness and legality advertising notices.
- Confers with and advises architects, engineers, attorneys, developers, and the general public regarding City development procedures and processes.
- Responds to inquiries, both orally and in writing; applies planning policies, state laws and local ordinances, or explains procedures; provides assistance to the Planning Commission, City Council, and other committees and commissions; makes presentations to the City Council, City Commissions, committees, residents and neighborhood groups.
- May have lead supervision over interns, professionals, and technicians.
Education and/or Experience
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance. Example combinations include:
- Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, geography, public administration, or a closely related field and
- Two years of experience equivalent to that of an Associate Planner with the City of Pasadena.
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Analytical skills and critical thinking skills to provide reasoned and creative solutions to complex problems
- High degree of dependability and accountability
- Solution-oriented and customer-focused
Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record may be required for some assignments.
All applications will be screened upon receipt, and only candidates who meet minimum job qualifications and who are the most highly competitive may be invited to a written, oral and/or performance examination. Oral panel interviews are scheduled for Thursday, October 3.
There is currently one Planner vacancy in the Planning and Community Development Department. As a result of this selection process, an eligible list of candidates will be established which will be used to fill this vacancy and other similar vacancies in the future.