Performs professional planning work including researching and analyzing projects/programs with broad scope, translating research findings into policy and practice recommendations, writing, and limited presentation.
This is the first in a series of three planner-related job classifications within the Planner/Management/Research job family. This classification is distinguished by that the incumbents typically have responsibility for performing planning, researching and analyzing for assigned projects and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs planning, research and analysis of new, enhanced, improved, or revised existing work, training, information systems or related technologies, or related short-range and/or long-range goals and objectives, strategies, strategic plans, standards, policy and procedures, continuous improvement, and budgets for assigned projects and programs. May serve as project manager.
- Monitors project and program issues, and reviews plans and strategies for future project and program planning requirements.
- Performs tasks for assigned projects and programs with broad scope, and major political, public health, safety, or welfare, transportation, parks, land development and the environment, community development, community health and/or or strategic plan impact. Maintains responsibility for administration and recommendations for the research rules, directives, policies and procedures, planning issues, operations, related budget issues and efficient methods, plans and designs. Oversees the analysis, operational issues, development and integration.
- Interprets and applies planning standards, principles, policies and procedures, practices, codes, Federal, State and Local applicable laws, codes, rules, regulations.
- Performs database management. Maintains databases and tracking and reporting systems.
- Performs project and program research and effectiveness evaluation, including statistical analysis, performance measures, goals accomplished, timetables, outcomes, and outputs to include selecting appropriate research design methods, techniques and procedures, setting up data for compiling and managing data, and data manipulation and analysis.
- Prepares and produces written summarizes, documents, and statistical and other reports to include conclusion and recommendations. Coordinates the development of and conducts presentations of analysis results before the public, Elected Officials and Commissioners Court.
- Interacts by working in partnership, on a regular basis, with community representatives or groups, departments, and outside agencies to obtain information, assessments, identify needs, and determine and ensure effectiveness and consistency of planning and meeting expectations. Ensures project phases are implemented according to timelines.
- Serves as liaison to various working groups, offices, governmental agencies, and other departments. Applies skill and understanding to provide advice and problem solving assistance. Answers questions and projects and program goals and policy interpretation. Responds to difficult inquires and complaints.
- Uses computer applications and management information systems.
- Plans, researches and prepares of annual budget proposals and recommendations. Establishes budget control systems and projects for staffing requirements.
- Prepares proposals for grants/funds and/or grants/funds continuation from outside sponsors. Monitors and identifies future grants/funds sponsors and develops strategies for accessing funding. Monitors contracts. May serve as point of approval for purchase and contract submissions.
- Conducts critical, professional and specialized research projects. Conducts research, collects, analyzes data, identifies issues and proposes solutions. Researches and develops cost analysis on new or alternative services.
- Represents the County by participating or attending task forces, working groups, committees or subcommittees meetings, advisory groups, emergency functions, neighborhood groups, boards and commissions, seminars, conferences, professional associations meetings and private organizations.
- Performs legislative research. Stays abreast of the effect of legislative changes and the impact.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Planning, Engineering, Public Policy/Administration, Government, Criminal Justice, Sociology, Business Administration or a directly related field AND four (4) years increasingly responsible experience with strategic planning, planning, research, project management, policy research and program development;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
* Experience in the field of Health and Human Services.
* Knowledge of best practices in community planning, organizing and development.
* Experience with performance measurement and evaluation systems.
* Knowledge of education, employment, and other workforce-related issues.
* Masters Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Social Work (with concentration in Social Work Administration/Planning), or similar field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Public Administration and governmental agencies.
- Legislative process.
- Principles and techniques of planning.
- Modern planning research methods, data collection and analysis.
- Issues pertaining to area of assignment.
- Strategic planning techniques.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Sources of information, current literature, and recent developments.
- Administrative and related business principles.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases, statistical packages, presentation/ graphics and related software applications.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Developing short-range and long-range comprehensive plans in development of innovative solutions.
- Program planning, developing and implementing.
- Statistical analysis and policy research.
- Analyzing and evaluating data, policies and technical issues.
- Setting up systems for conducting analysis and compiling for reports.
- Coordinating the development and making presentations.
- Coordinating work of others.
- Conducting interviews and group meetings.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Initiate and develop projects and programs.
- Apply knowledge to data, policy, and process analysis.
- Reach sound conclusions and make recommendations.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Formulate broad perspectives.
- Interpreting planning and program objectives to groups and public.
- Bring together several viewpoints into a balanced position.
- Compile data and to write clear and comprehensive reports.
- Maintenance of appropriate records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 5-20 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, occasional indoor/outdoor activities, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 502 E. Highland Mall Blvd. Austin
Department: Health & Human Services
Education & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 16 months ago