Hourly Position - No benefits
Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Community Development or other appropriately designated staff person, this position will perform entry-level work pertaining to Zoning Code application and interpretation. The successful candidate will be expected to assist with Planning counter activities and special projects while becoming experienced with plan reviews and the processing of ministerial applications. Exposure to a wide range of entry and journey-level Planning and related activities can be expected.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the Principal and Assistant Planner(s) with professional and/or specialized services.
• Answer telephone inquiries and assist general public at the Planning counter with planning-related issues.
• Interpret and explain Zoning Code and General Plan policies to the business community and general public.
• Conduct surveys, research and compile data for special studies.
• Assist in maintaining the GIS system, temporary use permits, zoning consistency reviews, verify zoning and scanning.
• Design, ink, trace, and letter charts, graphs, maps, plans, etc. as necessary.
• Perform mathematical calculations to determine lot and building square footage, and lot coverage percentage.
• Prepare and update zone maps and other publications as necessary.
• Process Certificates of Occupancy applications and Home Occupation Permits.
• Review plans and related applications for compliance with City regulations.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of terminology, methods, practices, and techniques of planning and drafting.
• Ability to perform arithmetic calculations; compose clear and grammatically correct correspondence; utilize drafting equipment and prepare graphic displays; utilize and interpret General Plan and Zoning Ordinance regulations with appropriate assistance; review development plans and related applications; exhibit effective customer service skills.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a recognized undergraduate or graduate level Planning degree program.
Experience in Planning or a related field and/or Municipal experience are desired. Bilingual in Spanish and work experience in a professional environment are also desired.
Licenses and Certifications:
- A valid California Class C Driver's License is required and must be maintained throughout the course of employment.
TESTING: Written Exam - Qualifying
Oral Interview – 100%
FINAL FILING DATE: Recruitment will remain open until filled.
Selection of candidates will be on a first come, first served basis. As employment applications are received, they will be immediately reviewed. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to begin the testing process.
Selected candidate will be subject to background and reference checks and will be required to satisfactorily complete a post-offer physical examination including a drug screen at the City’s expense.
A fully completed City application and supplemental questionnaire may be obtained and filed online at www.pico-rivera.org. All application materials must be submitted online. Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of, the required application materials (such as a copy of high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent, if applicable). Employees who regularly work less than 40 hours per week do not acquire regular status and are not entitled to benefits. Such employees serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority and are classified as at-will employees. The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
The City of Pico Rivera is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
City of Pico Rivera, CA - 20 months ago