Manages and develops short-range and/or long-range functions and activities, including project scoping, planning, management analysis, research, work plans, grant/fund proposals, evaluation, budget, policies and procedures.
This is the third in a series of three planner-related job classifications within the Planner/Management/Research job family. This classification is distinguished by that the incumbents typically performing broad and diverse planning, management analysis, and research project and program management responsibilities, complex tasks, a role of a project manager and a supervisor, and required additional experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops, oversees and manages broad and diverse planning, management analysis, research for short-range and/or long-range functions and activities that are of a wide range of facts and conditions for complex advanced and major projects and programs.
- Coordinates the written preparation of proposals for grants/funds and/or grants/funds continuation from outside sponsors. Reviews applications and related documents. Monitors and identifies future grants/funds sponsors and develops strategies for accessing funding. Serves as point of negotiator and/or makes decisions pertaining to approval for grant/funds submissions.
- Monitors contracts for contract compliance. Investigates non-compliance/vendor complaints. Conducts vendor site visits. Develops and implements standardized vendor reporting and monitoring procedures. Supervises production of site visit reports. Monitors vendor action plans to address service delivery deficiencies.
- Develops and manages the planning and programming of work plans, including annual or multi-year, of a unit or department group. Schedules multiple components. Oversees projects or programs for fulfilling the established missions, initiatives, goals and objectives. Develops training curriculums and conducts technical training.
- Plans, researches and prepares annual budget proposals and recommendations. Establishes budget control systems. Performs projections for staffing requirements.
- Organizes information on problems or procedures. Solves complex problems or issues regarding management or administrative issues or systems. Counsels management and other related staff.
- Directs technical quantitative and qualitative analysis studies. Manages the complex project and program research and effectiveness. Performs on-line data searches using Internet. Accesses data from various sources. Drafts the writing of policy documents and presents alternatives analysis for the decision and policy-makers.
- Evaluates projects and programs. Monitors project and program issues, and reviews plans and strategies for future project and program planning requirements.
- Develops and implements multiple internal plans, systems, documents, schedules, operational work flow, new, improved or revised policies and procedures. Integrates new, improved or revised policies and procedures.
- Prepares periodic statistical and other reports, financial and written summary statements, including conclusion and recommendations. Presents the results of complex analysis before the public, outside agencies, Elected Officials and Commissioners Court.
- Interprets and applies planning standards, principles, policies and procedures, practices, codes, Federal, State and Local applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
- Interacts and maintains liaison with community representatives or groups, offices, governmental agencies, other departments, and outside agencies and constituencies to facilitate projects and programs issues, goals and objectives, and implementation. Responds to difficult inquires and complaints.
- Performs database management and general trend, forecast and statistical analysis. Maintains databases and tracking and reporting systems.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Planning, Public Policy/Administration, Government, Criminal Justice, Sociology, Business Administration or a directly related field AND six (6) years increasingly responsible experience with strategic planning, planning, coordinating, research, project management, policy research, and program development, including two (2) years of mid- to senior level supervisory or management experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Master's degree in Planning, Public Policy/Administration, Government, Criminal Justice, Sociology, Business Administration or a directly related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles of project management, including scheduling, estimating, contracts and budgeting.
- Modern advanced planning research methods, data collection and analysis.
- Principles and techniques of planning.
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Advanced mathematical and statistical methods as used in planning.
- Strategic planning techniques.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Legislative process.
- Community issues.
- Public Administration and governmental agencies.
- Sources of information, current literature, and recent developments.
- Administrative and related business principles.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases, statistical packages, project scheduling and management, presentation/graphics and related software applications.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Advanced planning.
- Economic analysis, including cost/benefit and marginal analysis.
- Developing short-range and long-range comprehensive plans in development of innovative solutions.
- Program planning, developing and implementing.
- Statistical analysis and policy research.
- Problem-solving and technical decision-making for developing effective solutions.
- Analyzing and evaluating data, policies and technical issues.
- Setting up systems for conducting analysis and compiling for reports.
- Coordinating the development and making presentations.
- Coordinating work of others.
- Conducting interviews and group meetings.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Coordinate, plan, and prioritize programs, projects and activities.
- Plan, assign, supervise, train and review the work of subordinates.
- Initiate and develop projects and programs.
- Apply knowledge to data, policy, and process analysis.
- Perform complex planning, research and analysis.
- Reach sound conclusions and make recommendations.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Formulate broad perspectives.
- Interpreting planning and program objectives to groups and public.
- Bring together several viewpoints into a balanced position.
- Compile data and to write clear and comprehensive reports.
- Maintenance of appropriate records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 5-20 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, occasional indoor/outdoor activities, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some nights and weekends
Location: 700 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Criminal Justice Planning
Education and Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 10 months ago