The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Prince George's County Planning Department is seeking two experienced Planning Supervisors to complete the management team of the Community Planning Division, formerly the Community Planning North and South Divisions. The division prepares and facilitates the implementation of sector plans, master plans, special area studies and zoning strategies in urban, suburban, and rural communities. Each Planning Supervisor manages a portion of the division's annual work program supporting three county priorities: Transit-oriented development (TOD) at existing Metro stations, transforming suburban communities into compact, mixed-use places, and preserving rural character and way of life. The Planning Supervisor supervises a professional planning staff, manages a complex work program, works with diverse stakeholders to implement approved plans, and serves as a member of the department's extended management team. The position reports to the Division Chief.
The Planning Supervisor position provides the following opportunities:
- Work in a multi-cultural community adjacent to the nation's capital;
- Plan in urban, suburban, rural, and regional environments;
- Work with all levels of government: municipal, county, state, regional, and federal;
- Participate in the update of the General Plan and zoning and subdivision ordinances to implement land use policy in approved plans; and
- Manage a dynamic work program addressing a wide range of topics: transit-oriented development; planning for light rail and bus rapid transit; governance structure for unincorporated areas; agriculture preservation and design guidelines for rural villages; and, innovate public outreach and engagement.
Examples of Important Duties:
1. Develops, coaches, and supervises staff according to work program priorites, expectations, and staff development needs; evaluates performance and prepares annual performance appraisals; and establishes unit work standards to accomplish work program assignments.
2. Serves as project facilitator on planning projects to ensure resources are available to meet project objectives; oversees consultant hiring and management; and works with the Planning Board, County Council, and other high level public officials on planning projects and implementation strategies.
3. Serves as an expert to the Planning Board, County Executive, and County Council. Serves on county and state committees that exist for the purpose of promoting, reviewing or coordinating various aspects of the planning functions, or whose activities may impact upon the agency's planning program.
4. Serves as acting division chief when needed. Lead or serve as facilitator for department-wide special purpose teams to establish new policies and programs for the department, or for the purpose of evaluating and recommending improvements to existing department programs and procedures.
Master Planner: Master’s degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, public administration, or related fields and six years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience that included at least three years of project leadership and coordination experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Planning Supervisor: Master’s degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, public administration, or related fields and six years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience that included at least three years of supervisory experience or project leadership and coordination experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job posting #14029 is a re-announcement. Previous applicants need not re-apply.
Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard