This is responsible para-professional and technical work in the Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development (DPCED), Planning Division. The work involves providing support to professional staff in the Transportation Planning Services section of the City’s Planning Division, which staffs the Madison Area Transportation Planning Board – |
A Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). The work includes assisting the Geographic Information Specialist (GIS) Specialist in maintaining GIS data sets and creating maps, graphics and tables; collecting, formatting, and assisting in analysis of transportation planning related data; developing graphics and creating the design and layout of reports and other print materials such as the MPO’s Rideshare Etc. Program marketing materials; coordinating all aspects of print production of reports; maintaining content on the MPO’s website and social media outlets; and providing other support work for transportation planning activities as needed. Assignments are received from professional planners or other supervisors/managers who define the scope of the work/project, provide assistance and guidance, and review the final product.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Urban and regional transportation planning support work
• Collect, format, and assist in analyzing census, socio-economic, transportation facility, travel, and other transportation planning related data for use in studies, reports, and presentations.
• Design and create graphics, tables, charts, and other illustrative materials for reports and other print materials, presentations, and the MPO website, utilizing databases and various computer programs.
• Assist with GIS tasks in transportation planning products.
• Participate in analysis for and preparation of transportation plans.
• Provide information to city planning and other city departmental staff, Federal and state agency staff, and the general public on transportation related data and planning matters.
• Assist in preparing for and conducting of public meetings and workshops on transportation planning efforts.
Assist in developing and maintaining GIS data sets and cartographic products using ArcGIS (ArcInfo and ArcView)
• Assist in developing and maintaining GIS data sets (roadways, bicycle facilities, transit service, land use, etc.).
• Perform digitizing, editing, and attribute entry of GIS data layers.
• Assist in the design and production/printing of maps utilizing GIS data sets.
Graphics design and management of print production
• Develop graphics (illustrations, photography, graphs, maps, etc.) for planning reports, Rideshare Etc. Program marketing materials, other display materials, MPO website and social media outlets, etc.
• Design and layout print products, including planning reports and Rideshare Etc. Program marketing materials.
• Manage and coordinate all aspects of print production, including papers, cost estimates, timeline, expenditures, vendor selection, and overseeing and proofing of final product.
• Perform related administrative functions.
Maintain content on the MPO’s website and social media outlets
• Work with City of Madison IT Department staff in maintaining the MPO website.
• Organize and post content on the website, including plan reports, MPO Board and committee meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes, and staff posts to the Facebook page to be created while following City of Madison Web Policies and Standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
Working knowledge of data collection methods, relational databases, and analysis techniques related to socio-economic, land use, and transportation data and other geographic based information. Knowledge of land use/transportation planning concepts and methods. Working knowledge of computer database software. Working knowledge of geographic information systems and computer mapping, graphic design and layout software, database management, and mapping. Graphic design skills, including thorough knowledge of graphic design software and print production. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat,) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Ability to plan, organize, and complete work assignments in an accurate and timely manner. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other agency staff, and the general public. Ability to maintain adequate attendance.
Training and Experience :
Two years of related work experience in planning, geography, cartography, graphic design, computer applications, and/or a related area. Such experience would normally be gained after graduation from a two-year technical school or community college with a degree or course concentration in one of the preceding areas. A related bachelor’s degree in a field listed above may be substituted for the two years of work experience. Other combinations of training and/or experience which can be demonstrated to result in possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position will also be considered.
Physical requirements :
Work is generally sedentary in nature and performed in an office environment using standard office equipment, such as phones, computers, copiers, and fax machines.
City of Madison, WI - 23 months ago