The purpose of this position is to ensure compliance with City building codes for commercial properties. This is accomplished by reviewing commercial plans, providing customer assistance and conducting field inspections. Other duties may include educating developers, architects, engineers and citizens of building codes and ordinances, providing departmental support when needed and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position provides direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Reviews commercial plans by distributing plans to the appropriate departments for additional review, ensuring code compliance in architectural, structural, plumbing HVAC, electrical and landscaping drawings, coordinating activities with architects and engineers to verify compliance with codes, verifying zoning codes and issuing building permits.
- Provides customer assistance by communicating with architects, engineers and contractors, responding to questions concerning building, zoning and other codes, providing assistance to other employees, answering the telephone, handling difficult phone calls and by assisting customers when short-staffed.
- Conducts field inspections by observing and inspecting construction projects, comparing existing construction procedures and plans to approved plans and ensuring construction is completed in accordance with building codes and ordinances.
- Educates developers, architects, engineers and citizens of building codes and ordinances by holding meetings and responding to questions and inquiries.
- Provides departmental support by supervising the activities of City personnel, assisting with residential plans examining duties and commercial and residential inspections.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Over four years up to and including six years of relevant experience.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver's License, Certified Plans Examiner
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives limited directions. The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Persuasion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 17 months ago