The Plant Accountant III is a senior level professional position responsible for providing advanced technical assistance in the performance of plant accounting activities. This position will support the new fixed asset/projects system by being part of the fixed asset/projects team. In addition, this position will support the overall general accounting and financial closing process as needed.
Total number of Projects: 1800
Average CWIP Balance: 132.86 MM
Gross Plant in Service: $3.17 BB
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position reports to the Supervisor - Accounting and Fixed Assets within the Corporate Accounting department. The Plant Accountant III should possess advanced directly related experience and knowledge of accounting terminology, principles, theory and practice as well as have strong analytical skills. The individual will possess an acceptable degree of knowledge with the Company, its utility operations, the industry in which it operates and the financial accounting application. This position must have an understanding of the financial application property data, processes and reports. The Plant Accountant III interacts with all levels of management both district and corporate office employees in order to obtain and/or provide explanations and/or modifications on technical concepts to individuals with experience or knowledge of the technical area. This position is also responsible for answering capital project related questions and to assist in determining expense versus capital expenditure inquiries. This position interacts with internal and external auditors and commission audit staff as well as represent and participate in special projects and studies. The candidate must be able to work as an effective member of the team, share work duties with others on as needed basis. The variety of responsibilities and tasks require the Plant Accountant III to multi-task and manage different projects and changing priorities concurrently. This position regularly and customarily exercises independent discretion and judgment in establishing individual daily work schedules to meet monthly closing deadlines.
· Support preparation and analysis of annual fixed asset related budgets and forecasts and monthly/quarterly variance analysis.
· Be familiar with all aspects of the fixed asset processes including, but not limited to, project set-up and completion, asset unitization, retirements, asset review and capital versus expense decisions. This includes daily monitoring of system alerts to ensure that all process/interfaces were able to complete as designed. Identify causes and suggest solutions for interface errors.
· Perform critical analysis related to fixed assets, project maintenance, depreciation, AFUDC, allocations, Regulatory & SEC Reporting and special projects as necessary.
· Perform research and analysis to support accounting decisions such as capital vs. expense as well as new accounting pronouncements including convergence or transition to International Standards (IFRS) and other regulatory requirements in order to recommend and implement or assist with implementation and ongoing compliance.
· Participate in rate cases and other regulatory filings and related data requests and inquiries.
· Maintain working knowledge of financial application and related interface systems as well as assist in developing more efficient processes and workflow as new systems are implemented.
· Perform month-end close process as assigned, participate in and provide back up assistance as needed. Prepare schedules related to quarterly and annual audit requirements and assist with audit inquiries during the year.
· Develop documentation of Plant Accounting procedures, processes and internal controls with review for effectiveness and recommendations for process improvements as require for SOX. Lead the rewrite of the Plant Accounting policy and procedures section of the corporate accounting manual to reflect actual practice as well as participate in the periodic update to the section as needed.
· Ensures that all transactions are properly supported and are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Sarbanes Oxley (SOX), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and other regulatory requirements. Be able to interpret and actively participate in the application of new standards to current accounting.
· Prepare journal entries which require an intermediate understanding of accounting principles, theory and specialized industry practices.
· Respond to questions from within the organization and external auditors related to accounting matters and provide the proper GAAP, regulatory industry treatment and/or analysis as necessary.
· Assist in testing software upgrades and changes as necessary.
· Participate in cross-training efforts and perform assigned account reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner.
· Participate on special project teams or working committees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· 4 year degree in Accounting
· CPA certification
· 5-7 years of general accounting, fixed asset or equivalent experience in the Utility Industry
· 2 or more years of researching and implementing accounting pronouncements and other regulatory & reporting requirements or related experience
· Understanding of contract compliance
· Ability to work with others and to work independently
· Ability to adapt to rapid changes in technology as the Company upgrades the financial applications on a regular basis
· Be organized, detail oriented, self-starter, motivated, able to multitask in a fast paced and dynamic work environment and demonstrate excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills
· Ability to perform analysis involving ratios, percentages; think abstractly and analyze data
· IFRS experience
· Regulatory accounting experience
· PeopleSoft (Oracle, SAP) experience
· PowerPlant experience
· Work a significant percentage of time on a personal computer in an office environment
· Good visual acuity and hearing
· Occasional bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning and/or lifting up to 15 lbs.
· Work evening and weekend hours as necessary
Piedmont Natural Gas - 19 months ago