SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
Title: PLANT ACCOUNTANT
Location: SERTA-MIDDLEBORO, MA.
Responsible for moderately complex accounting activities relating to the maintenance and reconciliation of a complete and accurate general ledger; performing financial analysis; and in preparing financial reports, statements and filings. Handles and/or supervises the payroll, benefits administration, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
*1. Prepares, reviews and verifies the accuracy of the general ledger, journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records. Records and reconciles various accounts in an accurate and timely manner including Plant and inter-company affiliate activity.
*2. Maintains and compiles accounting information including monthly bank and bank borrowing base reports, income and balance sheet statements, sales tax returns, and inventory receiving system reports. Performs financial analysis, and prepares consolidated and departmental financial statements required by Federal, State, local agencies or by the Company.
*3. Handles and/or supervises the payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions. Ensures compliance with Federal, State requirements, Company policies and procedures, and terms of agreements. Assists with enforcement of attendance program for all non-exempt employees and coordinates with the Plant Supervisors to conduct appropriate disciplinary actions. Ensures appropriate documentation is on record.
*4. Assists with recruitment and coordinates temporary office staffing needs. Trains, provides direction and evaluates assigned staff.
*5. Performs credit checks on potential customers and advises sales management in this connection. Maintains related records and files. Investigates and resolves receivable problems, prepares and issues credit holds, contacts delinquent accounts and arranges payment schedules.
*6. Handles and/or supervises the personnel/benefits administration function that includes employee benefits orientation, processing of new employee and benefits related paperwork, processing of short-term disability and FMLA requests, preparation of monthly insurance billing and processing of related correspondence.
*7. Maintains computerized and hard copy accounting files and records including the maintenance and confidential personnel, payroll, health and workers compensation records.
*8. Maintains fixed assets record keeping system ensuring accuracy, proper recording and classification of records. Reconciles system on a monthly basis.
*9. Assists with the management of cash disbursement; ensuring accuracy and timely recording of for cash management purposes.
10. Assists in the annual budget process and year-end audit.
11. Manages the petty cash including daily disbursements and monthly reconciliation.
12. Identifies systems and procedures designed to provide accurate financial information and increase efficiency. Reviews Plant documentation, policies and procedures on a regular basis in order to ensure compliance with Federal and State labor laws. Makes recommendations to the Plant Controller and implements new systems and procedures as requested.
13. Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field; and attends appropriate training programs to remain current on accounting, and payroll employment/benefit law/regulations. Represents Plant to external contacts and vendors.
14. Coordinates and/or provides assistance with special Plant and Corporate projects as needed.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelors degree in accounting or finance (or equivalent combination of college coursework and experience)
2. One year general accounting experience
3. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and finance practices
4. Familiarity with Federal, State, local and regulatory agency rules
5. Knowledge of spreadsheet software
1. Knowledge of word processing and database software
2. Payroll, personnel and benefits administration experience
1. Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
2. Detail orientation and good figure aptitude.
3. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by the Company, Serta, Inc., and Federal, State or local agencies.
Work is indoor and sedentary in nature. Utilization of video display terminal and keyboard (primarily personal computer) is 85% othe time. Work may involve local travel.
WORKERS SUPERVISED: Payroll and/or Accounting support staff
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Controller
PROMOTION TO: Plant Controller
PROMOTION FROM: Accounting Clerk (A/P, A/R, or Payroll)