As a Plant Attendant, you will get to assist in the operation, maintenance and inspection of boilers, turbine generators and auxiliary equipment.
In order to obtain this position you must:
How to become a Plant Attendant:
- Possess the applicable Minnesota State Engineer's license which is a Second Class Grade A license after one
- Have 1 year of operating experience and a First Class Grade A license will required after three
- Have 3 years of operating experience. A Minnesota State Engineer Special Class License must be obtained within 30 days of being assigned to the apprenticeship if a higher license is not already held
- Must have a reasonable level of learning ability to develop understanding of steam plant operations and procedures
- Must have the ability to intelligently communicate constructively with plant personnel both verbally and in writing
- Must have had obtained knowledge of Power Plant Fundamentals training presented by Xcel Energy or equivalent
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. or more safely
To help you be successful on the test, we highly encourage you to review the practice tests we have provided. These practice POSS MASS tests can be found at:
- Apply to this posting
- If you are qualified and have not passed the EEI POSS test yet you will be sent an invitation via email (If you are qualified and have already passed the EEI POSS Test then your application will be submitted to the hiring leader for review)
- Once you receive the invitation, sign up for the test using the provided link in that email
- After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email to take the test
- After you complete the test, your test results will be sent to you via email within 2 weeks
- If you pass, your application will be matched to the next available position and you will be notified via email. We also encourage you to visit our careers website and apply for other available positions
- If you do not pass, then you will be able to re-test after 6 months
Thank you for your interest in Xcel Energy, we look forward to receiving your application!
- Username: Xcel
- Password: Energy
At Xcel Energy, our customers’ quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy’s vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels
Primary Location: MN-Mankato
- Pass the EEI POSS Test
- Will be required to perform duties, when necessary, from scaffoldings and catwalks in high and confined areas
- Will be required, through training, to be thoroughly familiar with plant operating procedures and equipment, including pollution control equipment, and be capable of making sound decisions in any plant emergency
- May be required to accept temporary assignments at other plants, as directed, by plant management
- Must successfully pass the EEI PlWill be required to wear appropriate PPE in all work areas
- Will be required to work in respirator required areas
- Will be required to follow all federal, state, and company policies and procedures
- Will be required to have or obtain basic computer skills and be able to utilize several Xcel Energy computerized tool sets
Union Position: Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.