Position Title: Plant Engineer
Position Reports To: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia
Position Summary :
Responsible for directing, scheduling and controlling all plant engineering/maintenance functions in order to obtain optimum efficiencies from the equipment, utilities and overall facilities.
Essential Job Functions :
Must be able to perform essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Provide engineering counsel and leadership at the plant level.
- Evaluate and develop engineering projects for the facility. This includes prioritizing the plant’s needs, developing a 3-Year Capital Plan and it’s implementation. Including originating capital appropriation requests, developing project schedules and work teams, writing of contracts, coordinating project activities, controlling project funds, and implementing startup/training procedures as necessary.
- Recommends equipment/processing systems’ modifications and/or replacement to improve plant performance.
- Remains up-to-date on technology as it pertains to the plant’s operation.
- Prepare and submit engineering reports as necessary.
- Establishes and administers an effective predictive/preventative maintenance program, work order procedures, and adequate parts inventory.
- Selects and trains maintenance/engineering employees and determines appropriate training and development needs.
- Develops department’s budgets. Implements and controls approved budgets.
- Maintains effective communications with the appropriate people both within and outside of the plant.
- Creates and maintains the appropriate engineering records including equipment records and manuals, drawings and diagrams, inspection reports and legal records as required by the appropriate agencies.
- Monitor and controls energy consumption and facilitates plans to effective usage.
- Work closely with outside agencies in their respective fields, i.e., OSHA, EPA, FDA, etc., to insure plant compliance with current regulations.
- Performs other various duties as may be assigned.
Follow all food safety policies and requirements:
- Follow established programs, policies and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the food safety related systems.
- Accountable to the Kroger Manufacturing Food Safety and Quality Principles.
Some of the Behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
- Puts the Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
- Communicates effectively and candidly - Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves results through teamwork – Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads through positive influence – Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work and personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Coaches and develops others - Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
- Leads change and innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides clear and strategic direction - Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace.
- Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Must have a developed facilitative/coaching style of management and pursue non-directed activities in dealing with plant opportunities.
- Bachelors of Science Degree from an accredited college in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be computer literate with fluency in spreadsheets and AutoCAD.
Desired Previous Job Experience:
- Five to ten years of related experience in the food industry dealing with: Project work, preventative maintenance administration, guidance of the maintenance workforce, establishing and operating to a budget, utility utilization, EPA and OSHA requirements, knowledge of GMP's, writing and justifying of projects