The purpose of this job is to lead the Plant Engineering Department to maintain plant equipment, facilities, and systems in a way that supports good business practices and ensures production line availability for production of low cost, high quality products in a safe work environment. Key member of site management team.
- Manage and administer an effective Plant Engineering Department in order to maintain all equipment, facilities, and systems in a safe and efficient working condition while supporting compliance of GMP’s and food safety/security.
- Provide leadership and management of Plant Engineering department to meet short and long-term company goals.
- Provide leadership that optimizes the talent contribution of a of multi-skilled, non-union technician team.
- Work closely with other departments to align strategies and tactics for optimizing the availability of production lines.
- Develop, maintain, and administer an effective preventive maintenance program to minimize unscheduled downtime. Measure available production uptime.
- Provide leadership for an effective maintenance parts & supplies procurement and inventory program.
- Provide leadership and management of designated engineering plant functions and general technical support.
- Manage and administer the operation and maintenance of HVAC systems, gas fired industrial boilers, Ammonia / glycol systems, on-site railroad and other supporting utility infrastructure.
- Manage the hiring, selection, and training of personnel to ensure personnel are qualified to perform the work effectively and safely.
- Prepare and manage departmental budgets and plans; prepare and manage annual repair budget.
- Manage the use of contractors for supplemental and specialized production / utility maintenance activities to ensure timely and cost-effective solutions.
- Assure compliance with state and local electrical, plumbing, building, and mechanical codes.
- Support compliance of corporate and plant standards for project work and documentation.
- Develop collaborative relationships with peers to ensure optimum use of resources for maintenance of site and building and optimizing production.
- Plan for and provide a work environment that allows and encourages participation from all team members, good employee relations, and development opportunities.
- Ensure that equipment, spare parts, and facility performance goals are met in an environment where employee, and food, safety and security are paramount.
- Provide direction for the administration of computerized maintenance management system.
- Complete environmental reports and maintain record keeping required by various environmental laws applicable to Malt-O-Meal.
- Develop and coordinate Team Member training plan as it relates to environmental impacts.
- Monitor compliance with environmental permits.
- Initiate, compile, analyze and summarize data into report form. Develop and maintain environmental metrics and adjust as needed to ensure continuous improvement in environmental performance.
- Conduct facility inspections in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Participate in reviews/audits (internal and external) as it relates to reduction in environmental impact.
- Serve as a departmental technical expert on environmental equipment operation and capabilities.
Education : 4 year Bachelors Degree required. Engineering degree preferred. Working knowledge of multi-discipline fields of maintenance, plant engineering, and manufacturing.
Experience : 7-12 years experience with increasing responsibilities in maintenance, engineering, or production; including 8 years supervisory experience.
Skills : Balance of technical, maintenance, human relations, and conceptual skills. Strong communicator. Both a strategic and tactical leader. Able to write reports, memos, and letters and make oral presentations. Able to evaluate alternatives, establishing priorities, and formulating decisions that affect all aspects of the operation.
Management Skills : Able to hire, plan, listen, organize, set department objectives, interpret, provide work direction, coach, counsel, train and conduct performance reviews.
Internal - Works with all levels of employees to solve problems, coordinate department activities and decisions and exchange information.
External - Works with vendors/suppliers, inspectors, customers and consultants.
Problem Solving :
1. Must solve technical problems, find solutions to crises, and plan to minimize crises.
2. Must be able to understand impact of decisions and policies within and beyond immediate work group.
3. Develop and implement a proactive engineering and maintenance support strategy focused on increasing equipment reliability and proven uptime.
Work Structure : Works under the direction of the Asheboro Plant Manager and closely with operations managers. Sales and distribution forecasts set broad production maintenance priorities; incumbent responds to major conflicts in successful execution of production plan. Incumbent allocates available resources to meet production demands. Project assignments negotiated with supervisor.
Responsibilities : Directly supervise salaried supervisory personnel, and indirectly salaried maintenance personnel and maintenance staff. Responsible for engineering and maintenance support of Asheboro cereal production; labor budget for Maintenance department; direct responsibility for Repair and MME annual budget. Has responsibility for preventing significant dollar loss, i.e. adverse impact on future growth and profitability. Needs to positively impact the “great place to work” environment, which will keep “at will” employee turnover to a minimum.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Malt-O-Meal is an equal opportunity employer.
Post Consumer Brands
- 2 years ago - save job
Post Consumer Brands is the newly formed branded CPG division of Post Holdings. Today, the primary business category is cereal, comprised of...