Johns Manville is currently seeking candidates for the position of Plant Manager to be located in Southgate, CA. The Plant Manager is responsible for providing the overall management and leadership for a self contained manufacturing entity with over 40 employees. This position reports directly to the Group Plant Manager.
The Southgate plant is part of the Roofing Systems Group. We manufacture commercial industrial modified bitumen roofing systems. Our primary modified bitumen products include APP (polypropylene) and SBS (styrene butadiene styrene) roll roofing.
JM has a long history of sustainable efforts and strives to continually improve our sustainability practices through a focus on innovation, productivity and leadership that ensures we meet the needs of current stakeholders without sacrificing the needs of future generations. For additional information please read our
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Environmental compliance including hazardous waste programs, control spills/emissions, assure appropriate waste handling, inventory and elimination
- Leads, manages and develops plant employees to assure the necessary capabilities and culture is in place to maintain and effective operation.
- All aspects of plant safety with the focus of providing a safe working environment for all employees
- Meet JM quality standards/SPC requirements.
- In conjunction with senior group management, will establish and manage activities to meet short and long term plant goals
- Manages implementation of operations improvement projects and programs
- Establishes and manages cost reduction activities
- Controls plant costs – including developing, managing and controlling budgetary process
- Maintain and improve employee morale, supervise staff, maintain employee relations (including union free status) ensures plant rules are followed
- Manages production efforts to meet delivery and cost goals
- Lead and/or oversee major change initiatives
- Assesses risks and then maintains or implements appropriate controls to reduce
- Establishing direction, gaining commitment, delegating, and building organizational capabilities
- Provides forecasts and operation plan inputs
- Maintains communications with customers and provides technical support as required
- Lead and establish communications processes and programs
- Manages plant technology innovations
- Take corrective action in response to customer complaints.
- Oversees inspection and product testing; assures specifications are communicated and met.
- Maintains plant building’s and improve plant grounds
- Maintains emergency plans (fire/storm/flood/earthquake/etc)
- Interfaces with JM supply chain employees and suppliers to meet needs
- Manages utilities and outside physical plant services
- Acts as JM representative to the community, work with local leadership to enhance favorable image of JM and ensure required local services are available in order to position JM as a responsible corporate citizen of the community.
Additional Consideration Given To Those With:
- BS Degree - Preference for a technical degree
- 7+ years of positions with increasing levels of responsibility in a manufacturing environment
- 5+ years of managing employees
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and make timely decisions
- Previous experience in managing employee safety
- Understand financial systems and controls – including ability to analyze budget and cost data, determine trends and apply corrective actions to achieve desired financial goals.
- Solid project planning and management skills, using standard project management tools.
- Proven ability to develop solid plant management teams that provide expert leadership to plant personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to implement recommendations and drive change initiatives.
- Proven collaborative and participative management skills are essential.
- Proven communications skills in all directions are essential.
- Continuous operations experience
- SPC / quality management experience
- Experience with a continuous process discipline such as Six Sigma, Toyota
- Production System, Lean or equivalent.
- Knowledge or experience of manufacturing engineer, facilities maintenance, and quality
- Previous experience in managing environmental compliance
- Experience to network/team build with peers and superiors in other manufacturing plants and in group headquarters functions.
Johns Manville (JM), a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial...