IV has developed a rich set of business strategies to develop, commercialize, and monetize inventions. Our organization is maturing next-generation structures to effectively and efficiently manage new complexity, while retaining an entrepreneurial spirit. We are implementing a new technology framework to support improved knowledge sharing, faster decision-making, and sharper focus on the right activities. This framework consists of key platforms, shared across the enterprise, enabling cross-fund collaboration, engagement, and synergies.
The Platform Services group (PS) provides organizational support to achieve shared management and governance, consistent communication channels, and alignment of business user priorities for the platform framework. PS acts as a functional representative for the business to:
- organize and prioritize all activities with respect to the platforms
- develop budgets
- ensure security and accuracy of enterprise data
- manage platform vendor relationships
- define and manage appropriate support requirements
- work with other functional areas within the Systems and Technology Group (STG), to develop, manage, and direct the business vision for these platforms
The Platform Services Manager (PSM) for IP Management (IPM) will have primary responsibility for the service and delivery of IP Management solutions at IV. This senior individual contributor will develop relationships with key business partners and technical support staff. The PSM will have a deep understanding of business processes and challenges working with IPM. They will engage business partners to develop and understand IPM requirements, and develop appropriate strategies for meeting these requirements. This individual will understand the overall IT roadmap, architectural direction, other available services, and will engage other groups when appropriate. The PSM will develop and regularly report metrics to reflect service usage/issues, data quality, and opportunities for improvement. They will be responsible to develop and manage a budget for the service, working with IT Business Operations to track costs and manage consumption of STG resources.
- Establish, implement, and manage shared governance
- Collect and manage business requirements to enable solution design
- Balance business value and budgets. Seek cross-platform and cross-fund synergies
- Identify priorities based on business needs and budget/resource constraints
- Support vendor discussions. Provide guidance for contract terms and vendor performance expectations
- Work with other platform managers, enterprise architects, and business analysts to ensure alignment with business processes and IT roadmap
- Develop metrics and reports regarding performance, business process efficiency, data use and data quality
- Establish and manage a user group to support communication, training, and knowledge sharing across platform use
- Develop and manage ongoing change management activities to ensure the adoption and success
- Client point of contact for service issues / escalations
- Assess training needs and identify strategies for delivery
Key Qualifications and Required Skills
- Successful candidate will ideally have a graduate degree in a technical or business field, or a comparable combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of direct experience with complex intellectual property management processes, especially with regards to patent development and management.
- 3+ years of experience with intellectual property management tools, preferably direct experience in the deployment of a new solution within a complex IP environment.
- 1+ year of experience managing user and governance groups for IP management tools.
- 3+ years of experience with software vendor management, including contracts, licensing, and service level agreements.
- 10+ years of experience and proven ability to organize and support cross-business re-engineering and other change programs
- Mature IT leader with experience managing business expectations for technology solutions
- Understanding of data governance and performance management best practices, ideally within an IP Management environment
- Ability to work with project and operations groups to define effective and efficient business processes.
- Able to build effective coalitions across a matrix environment.
- Knowledge of enterprise architecture and solutions.