Receives emergency and non-emergency calls and requests for service. Assesses, analyzes, evaluates and processes emergency and/or routine requests for law enforcement, medical and/or related services/assistance. Identifies needs and prioritizes calls. Tracks location and availability of law enforcement and other service responders. Monitors and maintains contact with situation and individuals involved. Conducts regularly and periodic checks regarding status of officers and others dispatched to calls.
Responds to citizen and/or law enforcement requests for information. As required and authorized, provides telephone numbers, contact names and other information regarding citizen/non-law enforcement requests for information. Accesses a variety of local, state and/or national databases. Searches and researches information. Provides data and information.
Assesses computer and related equipment problems. Troubleshoots and undertakes basic repairs and/or maintenance. Identifies needs and contacts repair vendor/staff as required. Re-supplies and replenishes paper, toner and other materials.
Updates and maintains a variety of files and records. Logs calls and related information into electronic and/or manual recording systems. Enters warrants, probably cause statements and other assigned tasks. As authorized and/or assigned, assists, trains and/or monitors newly hired, probationary and/or re-certifying police dispatchers. As required, may testify in court proceedings.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of applicable city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Department’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of file and records management.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of automation equipment troubleshooting and repairing techniques.
- Knowledge of court processes and legal terminology.
- Skill in reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Skill in assessing, analyzing, identifying and implementing solutions to complex problems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other City employees, representatives from other city, county, state and/or Federal agencies, the news media, general public and/or others having business with the City of Gillette.
- Skill in operating automation and related communication equipment utilizing a variety of software and operating systems/applications.
A high school diploma or GED AND relevant related experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
HOW TO APPLY
- Must successfully complete polygraph exam and background investigation.
Must type a minimum of 35 words per minute.
- Computer experience preferred.
- Must be able to obtain within one (1) year of employment and must maintain State of Wyoming Police Communications Certification and Federal National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Terminal Operators Certification.
- Must be able to obtain within one (1) year of employment and must maintain registration as a State of Wyoming Notary Public.
- May be required to lift, drag and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials and/or other items weighing up to 40 pounds.
- May be exposed to potential physical harm, infectious diseases and potentially high stress levels.
- Will be required to work a rotating schedule with rotating shifts. Work will be outside the traditional work schedule.
To apply for this position, please complete a City of Gillette Police Application Process , or contact the City of Gillette Human Resources Department 201 E 5th Street Gillette, WY 82717
Open Until Filled, First Review of Applications
rch 25, 2013
Pre employment drug testing is conducted. E.O.E.