The women and men of the UCSF Police Department are committed to making the campus a safe place for everyone to live, work, study and visit. We strongly believe in the principles of community policing, and have partnered with agencies throughout San Francisco to enhance the safety and quality of life at UCSF.
This management position provides planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and controlling of a variety of law enforcement functions and related activities. Individuals in this position may serve as a manager of an assigned division or major function within the Police Department, and perform related duties, as assigned.
Under the command of the Assistant/Chief of Police, the Police Lieutenant provides command level management to one of three areas: Patrol, Professional Standards, or Special Events Coordination.
Note: You must complete a second application on the Police Department website. The application can be accessed at: http://police.ucsf.edu/index.php?/Employment/how-to-apply.html
After completing the application, please mail it to:
FAS HR Service Center
1855 Folsom Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94143-0826
This second application must be received signed in order to be considered for available positions.
• Sworn Police Officer as certified by the California Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST)
• Non probationary Police Sergeant or higher classification
• High school graduate
• State of the art police and security management methods, philosophies, law enforcement practices, and legal practices and issues
• Knowledge of Federal, State and Local statutory codes, case law, criminal and civil law procedures, civil and vicarious liability issues, labor law, personnel administration, law enforcement, and emergency telecommunications technology and fiscal management.
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; squatting; bending; waist twisting; kneeling; crawling; climbing stairs; climbing ladders; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting over 60 pounds; pushing/pulling over 60 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; may be exposed to loud noises; dust, fumes or gases; chemical agents; tuberculosis, blood, body fluids or tissue, and radiological materials; latex, use protective equipment; differentiate color.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• Two years of University of California sworn police supervision
• Bachelors degree
• POST Advanced and Supervisory Certificate
• Knowledge of institutional polices, procedures, rules and practices including administrative guides and polices such as UC Personnel Polices for Staff Members, UCSF Administrative Policy Guide, University-wide Police Policies and Administrative Manual, UCSF Campus Emergency Operations Plan, UC Business and Finance Bulletin, applicable labor agreements (CUE/AFSCME and FUPOA), UCSF Police Department Manuals (General Orders, Special Orders, Police Regulations and Training Bulletins), UCSF Police Department Unusual Occurrence Manual, Field Training Guide, and Personnel Complaint Investigation Guide